repair gold cane?

red head miriam

Hi. I wasn't sure where to post this...

I have a gold cane that I got from Dahlal (the liqht-weight kind with the gold foil wrapped around it). Anyway, some of the gold tape is coming off of the crook. Has anyone here had any luck with trying to repair such a thing? I thought of trying to get some gold tape at a craft store and re-wrapping it. I'm hoping someone has tried this and might have some pointers.

I know that a new one would be cheap, but I'm likely to keep having this issue. (Have you seen the thing Fifi Abdo does where she kicks the cane back up into spinning it - yeah, I love that!)

Daimona

I haven't had the use for rewrapping my gold canes yet, but you might get some ideas and tips for wrapping if you google hoola hoop tape or hola hoop taping technique.

Darshiva

Superglue works a treat, but best if you sand the stick a little bit first and make sure you clamp it for at least 48 hours to cure the glue properly.

Afrit

Never quite sure why people put coloured tape on canes. I prefer a nice heavy real one! (best for kicking too)

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
If you still have the original gold tape, any double sided tape put underneath it should work. I haven't had that problem yet myself. My problem is my cane having warped horribly.

Jeanne

You could probably reglue the tape without too much trouble. But I've also used hula hoop tape when I wanted to add a custom color to a cane, and had pretty good results with it. You could wrap some new tape over the area that is unraveling.

Safran

Haha, I have exactly the same problem - I've been kicking my cane around too much I guess, so the past weeks I've been going around the shops trying to find golden tape. Unfortunately, I have had no luck, so I am thinking of substituting with regular tape and golden naipolish :cool:

Jeanne

If you want to use hula hoop tape, you can find it online in various places. Comes in all kinds of colors and amazing shiny patterns. I think there are some websites that sell things especially for hoopers, but I ended up ordering a set of five colors that I got fairly inexpensively on Amazon.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I went home and looked at my cane and well it doesn't have tape on it! It has gold material/ribbon wrapped very tightly around the wooden cane. I noticed a few places it has started to slip slightly or wear out. It is only glued at the ends to hold the ends in place. Maybe that is something you can do rather than tape?