Masquerade Mask?

LunaXJJ

Ok, hear me out! I was tossing the idea of video making around in my head, and I would absolutely need to hide my face to feel comfortable with that. I don't like the look of face veils, so I was thinking a masquerade style eye mask would be perfect. It hides the identity with out hiding my favorite part on any belly dancer, the smile! I think it would do well with my costume, and it's very eloquent in my opinion.

Thoughts? Has anyone seen this done before?

Daimona

When dancing with a mask, you'll miss the communication through the eyes and upper part of the face, which in my humble opinion are more important than a big grin. I'd rather recommend you to use some heavy stage make-up and make your hair very differently from what you usually wear. That way you can "hide" but still have the all the facial mimic when communicating and expressing the music.

LunaXJJ

True, I mean, eyes are expressive themselves, but more so with eyebrows. :)
I don't know how'd I'd manage heavy make up without looking like a clown. I could do some magic with black eyeliner (after a little practice with the cat eye look), maybe a bold lip color. I just can't see myself looking ok with heavy foundation, and blush or anything like that.
I'll have to look up some ideas.
And buy some normal eyeliner, mine was from ebay, and the sparkle crap makes it clumpy, and not as dark.
Oh, I forgot about false eyelashes too.

Kashmir

A wig makes a huge difference to a person. I almost didn't recognize a student with make-up and a wig of a different colour and cut.

I'd also suggest you avoid masks - unless you are not doing belly dance but rather world theatre dance - (and definitely NOT face veils).

Amulya

I have done that before, but it was a fusion dance thing and the masquerade mask matched the rest of the costume which wasn't a regular belly dance costume. I wouldn't wear it with a regular costume and regular belly dancing, it doesn't match. There are pictures in my album if you want to have a look. If you want to do regular belly dancing I think Kashmir's suggestion is great, wigs do change people and you can do a lot with make-up as well.

Darshiva

I hope you don't mind me analysing your facial structure...

I just noticed that you have a lot of striking lines on your face (cheekbones are the first that springs to mind) that you can use for some very strong & striking make-up effects that will make your face look totally different from everyday.

I think if you play up the drama with your makeup you will end up with a face that is so different that friends won't recognise you.

I'm not one to wear makeup outside of performance. One time I was doing a performance at the shop of a long-time friend. I came in full bd makeup. She didn't recognise me until I spoke!

LunaXJJ

Thanks, I get the face structure from the Native American parts of my ancestry. :) I do follow a make up artist on youtube (Michelle Phan if you're interested) she can do amazing contouring tricks and is generally really skilled with make up. I just thought I'd never be able to, but I guess I should start learning.

I was also thinking that (when I can afford it) maybe I could try an out fit or dress with one of those semi transparent body stockings over the belly. Most of the reason for hiding a bit is insecurity, so maybe I'll feel a little better with a little more coverage. Plus I like the semi-sheer look, it's hiding a little, and still a little "sexy" looking. Not because of what it shows, but because it doesn't have to show.

Daimona

Thanks, I get the face structure from the Native American parts of my ancestry. :) I do follow a make up artist on youtube (Michelle Phan if you're interested) she can do amazing contouring tricks and is generally really skilled with make up. I just thought I'd never be able to, but I guess I should start learning.

You better start learning and experimenting on putting on make-up yourself. Watch videos on how other people do their make-up - both technically and estethically. Learn different techniques for putting on eye-liner, how dark/light eye shadow will alter your look etc. If possible, find someone with a similar facial structure as you've got - it'll make it easier to find out what will suit you.

I was also thinking that (when I can afford it) maybe I could try an out fit or dress with one of those semi transparent body stockings over the belly. Most of the reason for hiding a bit is insecurity, so maybe I'll feel a little better with a little more coverage. Plus I like the semi-sheer look, it's hiding a little, and still a little "sexy" looking. Not because of what it shows, but because it doesn't have to show.

Yep, it is certainly a good idea.