Sovinor aka Safinaaz

Farasha Hanem

Yeah, I have to admit, I didn't like the imagery in that video, either. >.> :( That makes me disappointed that Hakim and Haifa even agreed to do this video. However, that being said, when I turned away from watching Haifa wiggling her patoose at an entire flock of men, I rather liked the song. Wish I knew what the lyrics meant.

Does Hakim sing any explicit songs I should watch out for? o.@;;

Amulya

Yes would be interesting to know what the lyrics mean. Better stay with classics to be safe!

Aniseteph

That was uncomfortable watching, far worse than the OP clip because she was so objectified. The OP clip was objectifying too, but mostly by too many imsosexy moves and extreme close ups on wobbling bits - the dancer herself at least projected a bit of personality. Haifa was just there as a passively acquiescent behind in a room full of drooling guys. The women and kids in it just made it worse for me because no, this isn't some sleazy men's club somewhere, it's meant to be a family event and women being bits of meat is OK? Horrible video.

Safran

This is actually one of the biggest criticisms against the video - that a video of that nature includes children.

When I go out tonight I try to ask the Egyptians what the song is about...

Safran

Sorry it took me some time, but I finally remembered to ask my Egyptians about the song today. Apparently the song itself is not that sleazy... So, according to my Egyptian friend "Halawet Rouh" means "the sweet of the spirit". The Egyptians use that term to describe when someone does something different/crazy before they die. And the song says even if you are given a life and body, you come to the end of your life not using it... what's the use. It is a very rough idea of the song lyrics, but you get the point.

The movie itself has been pulled back in the cinemas in Egypt. And the latest news is that it is also banned in the UAE.

Pirika Repun

I come to this topic little late, but here is my thought.
Safinaa: First of all she is NOT Egyptian, but Armenian. So, her dance style is NOT Egyptian style. I heard rumor that Dina started BS "Belly dance competition” that against Egyptian dancers vs. non-Egyptian dancers because of Safinaz became famous in Egypt. But not sure, because that show itself was nonsense for many reasons. Anyway, most of you guys already said that her boob make her famous and I guess after Dina, non of Egyptian dancers become famous as her. Yes, Rand, Cameria, and Aziza are famous in the dance community, but they are nobody over there compare to Dina.

About Hakim’s video, my friend who lives in Cairo told me that, this music is very popular and you can see and hear everybody dance to this song. However, this song was part of movie that 13 years old boy raped a woman. I don’t know why they made this kinds of movie in the first place, but no wonder banned at UAB, and cancelled in the Egypt.

Pirika Repun

No Problem. :)
This is her exact word about Hakim’s song.

"The song comes from a movie that was pulled from the cinema for being inappropriate. Yeiny, they had a 13 year old boy pretend he was raping Haifa. There should be laws about that. It was terrible, but the song is beautiful, and it's a reason why folks love it so much and Hakim, of course.”

Aniseteph

.... I heard rumor that Dina started BS "Belly dance competition” that against Egyptian dancers vs. non-Egyptian dancers because of Safinaz became famous in Egypt. But not sure, because that show itself was nonsense for many reasons...

There's something on the competition and the Safinaaz factor here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/04/egypt-belly-dancing-show-shelved-religious-backlash

(I love it that a serious newspaper that my dad has got for years has got belly dance gossip in it, from people who I know who they are. :D)

MizzNaaa

That program is back though and is aired and everything went fine. It's trying to be like Hezzy Ya Nawaeim which I personally loved even though most dancers in it weren't arab. However it's rather low budget, and the budget shows in comparison to what Hezzy ya Nawaeim offered.

Last edited:

MizzNaaa

Also back to the original topic, the song itself isn't bad at all, it's the attachment to that horrid movie. I have insider information (cousin is a director so we hear stuff from him all the time) the reason Al Sobky made that movie for Haifa is because he wants to date her. So the movie pays well which probably is why Hakim and the rest of the cast work. Sobky is one of the few producers left right now (other than the independent scene which releases beautiful movies by the way) that pay well enough. The movie industry in Egypt crashed horribly after the revolution so the only one left in the scene really is Sobky and his BS movies.

As for Sofinaz. From what I've seen of her when she's not dancing, she's actually adorable. Which I'm not surprised about cause the image she's selling is probably her agent/producer whoever else is responsible for her public image. I also get the feeling that she doesn't entirely understand Egyptian culture and the way people would percieve the way she acts even if outwardly they give her the impression that they like it. In our modern Egyptian culture "liking' a woman's actions and actually respecting her are two different convoluted things and i'm not going into it cause this might turn into a young feminist rant :D . But yeah, I don't like the image she projects on the media, not a fan of her dancing, and her boob bounce still annoys me but eh...if she's making money off of it and staying safe then good luck to her.

Last edited:

Sophia Maria

Also back to the original topic, the song itself isn't bad at all, it's the attachment to that horrid movie. I have insider information (cousin is a director so we hear stuff from him all the time) the reason Al Sobky made that movie for Haifa is because he wants to date her. So the movie pays well which probably is why Hakim and the rest of the cast work. Sobky is one of the few producers left right now (other than the independent scene which releases beautiful movies by the way) that pay well enough. The movie industry in Egypt crashed horribly after the revolution so the only one left in the scene really is Sobky and his BS movies.

Yeah, I actually like the song a lot. It's not musically that impressive, but it's fun. It's just sad to see icky clips like that...unfortunately it's always about the money, isn't it? A lot of American songs and music videos that come out now are--how to say this--you can see it was MORE about the marketing and the money than the actual talent. Every song fits in a neat little box, is produced and polished, and the women are always sexy and perfect. There is always new and exciting music, bu you just have to look for it in different places.

MizzNaaa said:
I also get the feeling that she doesn't entirely understand Egyptian culture and the way people would percieve the way she acts even if outwardly they give her the impression that they like it. In our modern Egyptian culture "liking' a woman's actions and actually respecting her are two different convoluted things and i'm not going into it cause this might turn into a young feminist rant :D

THAT is an excellent point to bring up. Being liked and being respected are separate things.