Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kasienka View Post
    I'm trying to choreograph 3 sets so I can start going on gigs. And… I will admit to being a perfectionist in dance. So it's hard for me to just choreograph without it being the absolute most I can do. What's your opinion? Should all your choreographies be 100 percent your best or can some just be going 70 percent, just to finish it. I feel like if I try 100 percent at all of my choreographies. I will never ever finish them.
    I agree with others here, improv beats choreography every time. But it's also a good exercise to come back to choreography and see what you can do. I am choreographing for the first time in over a year, and it's like a mental exercise for me.

Have you tried making a skeleton choreography? That's pretty much what I do when I say that I "choreograph". I basically decide when exactly in the music I will travel, not travel, and for certain sections I restrict myself to certain movements (i.e. for the next 20 seconds I will only do variations on a shoulder shimmy)--but I don't choreograph exact steps specifically. It's a good way to keep choreography simple enough to not overload the audience, and it gives you a lot of room to put your personality in.

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much *never* choreograph for paid gigs, though I might use a choreography I created for a stage show as a rough skeleton for one of my pieces, if the space allows it. Improv means I can relax and entertain my audience in a natural way, rather than doing a dance that is more technically perfect but lacks spontenaity or interaction. The general public care more about your stage presence and personality than whether you hit every beat or use every bit of fancy technique you know, although your technique and musicality should still be good.

I like to imagine that the audience members are all my bellydance friends and I'm dancing for them at an informal hafla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Choreographies are an ongoing process, they are never finsihed. They evolve. The more you use them, they more you come up with better ideas and also when you have to change them due to situations mentioned above you suddenly get new ideas of how you can make them differently. I always improvised more, but sometimes it's good to have a choreography to fall back on. I tend to have choreographed bits to parts in a music piece, kind of like a frame around the improvising rest of it and to prevent I end up on automatic pilot and become boring.
    I love that! "they are never finished. They evolve." I think that perfectly describes what happens to mine haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12