Makeup removal?

Jane

Is there anything worse than trying to scrape off the makeup after a performance? Any recommendations for products that won't make me break out or dry up my skin? I don't mind putting the makeup on, but taking it off is awful :(

Amulya

I just wash it off with water. My skin doesn't like anything else. If it's particularly heavy I just use the moisturiser I use on my face to take it off with before washing with water.

Jane

I've tried the moisturizer thing and it sill takes forever, or what feels like forever, to get the eye makeup off. I look like I have two black eyes during the process :( Harsher stuff hurts my skin. Literally hurts.

Darshiva

I usually put some eye make-up remover on my lashes then steam up a face cloth and drape it over my face, refreshing it every time it gets cool, for about 15 minutes. Then I just gently wipe everything off.

When I had a bathtub, I'd do it whilst having a post-gig soak & a beer. No bath now so I just do it in the shower. It's not as relaxing but it's quicker!

Sophia Maria

Have you had any luck with olive oil or coconut oil?

I would suggest most oils, really. I have terribly sensitive skin with, unfortunately, acne issues. I find that my face mostly doesn't want anything on it...normally I only wash my face by putting on a honey mask and then washing it off in the shower. When I need to take makeup off, I wash with a mix of oil and water. Olive oil works very well, however for me I think it might irritate the skin around my eyes a little bit. But I recently switched to wiping my eye makeup off with a tissue soaked with jojoba oil (get filtered jojoba oil for sensitive skin) and water. It's been great so far. Also, wash with lukewarm water, not hot water. Hot water irritates skin and dries it out.

Safran

I would have suggested oils as well. I often use olive oil as an emergency make-up remover. It just takes some time and testing to figure out which oil or combination works out best for you.

A steam from a shower/bath and a gentle cloth also makes wonders, but only works with non-waterproof make-up.

I don't know how natural or gentle it is, but since I came to UAE, I've been using Himalaya Herbals Face Wash with aloe vera and cucumber. It does not seem to hurt my skin, and it is really helping to get rid of any last bit of eyelash glue.

Jane

Do I need to get the special facial cleansing oil they sell in stores? Can I use Italian or Turkish olive oil from my kitchen? :think:

Darshiva

Probably you can use what you have in your kitchen. Experiment though, with makeup on your wrist that you remove that way. The inside of your wrist has delicate skin so you'll know immediately if it's going to be a problem without damaging your eyes.

Shanazel

Where To Buy Dermatological Skin Products | La Roche-Posay Store Locator

A dermatologist recommended sunflower oil to me, saying it is one of the gentlest oils. My condolences on your sensitive skin; mine is such a pain that I only use a cleanser ever other day and use plain water on the other days. I do like my cleanser and moisturizer enough to recommend them by name: La Roche-Posay products Toleriane (foaming cream) and Anthelios SX (moisturizer with sun protection). The line also has a make up remover which I've never tried because I wear make up so seldom. I buy it through my doctor. I found an address for your area on their website (above). Don know why the OD site won't let me put links where I want them. It is back to barely allowing me to type.

Amulya

Sometimes I use coconut oil, but only when my facial skin is really dry. I'm acne prone as well but coconut oil doesn't cause break out for me. Just don't like that very oily feeling. But when taking a bath it helps taking it off.

Sophia Maria

Do I need to get the special facial cleansing oil they sell in stores? Can I use Italian or Turkish olive oil from my kitchen? :think:

When it comes to making your facial washes/scrubs from food items (which is really fun btw :dance: ) , you don't necessarily need to find things that are labeled specifically as "facial" or whatnot. Generally speaking, just recognize that some skin is very sensitive, so either test it first like Amulya said, on the inside of your wrist or the sensitive skin in the crook of your elbow...or, for things you intend to put on your face, buy organic and local and whatnot.

Darshiva

When it comes to making your facial washes/scrubs from food items (which is really fun btw :dance: ) , you don't necessarily need to find things that are labeled specifically as "facial" or whatnot. Generally speaking, just recognize that some skin is very sensitive, so either test it first like Amulya said, on the inside of your wrist or the sensitive skin in the crook of your elbow...or, for things you intend to put on your face, buy organic and local and whatnot.

I said that actually. :)

Suzanne Azhaar

Two days later, still removing eye makeup and eyelash glue. The honey mask sounds divine and will try the coconut oil this morning. Thank-you!

Sophia Maria

In terms of honey, just for clarification--I've never tried using it to remove makeup, and I'm not sure it even works that way. But yes, otherwise, just for daily cleansing, it is divine! :)

XanaDance

Any joy with the oils? I read that peach kernel or almond oil are both very light so wouldn't be as greasy if your skin is already oily. I use baby wipes for removal (stage make up) and then a teeny blob of coconut oil if my skin is dry

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I can't speak for dry skin as mine has enough oil to rival a Saudi oilfield - BUT - Mary Kay's "Eye Makeup Remover" works very well and very fast. I've also heard of, but have yet to try, a similar product sold at WalMart that's cheaper. Perhaps one of these followed by a moisturizer?