Dance Pet Peeves

Amulya

We might have had this topic in the past, but what's annoying you lately? Biggest bug bears in belly dance?

Roshanna

This isn't new at all, but dancers who use Western music *because they think Arabic music 'doesn't speak to them'*. Not all dancers who use Western music (some of them are knowledgeable and generally awesome, including a couple of my teachers who sometimes perform fusion), just those who use it all the time instead of ME music and have never tried to learn about ME music. It makes me quite upset, because listening to Arabic music is now one of my main joys in life, so it's almost like a personal insult when people write it off as boring without making an effort.

Amulya

The last thing they could say is 'boring', Arabic music is far from that! And yes it's one of the best parts of belly dance! And there are so many styles as well and if someone doesn't like it that much they could get into Turkish music instead. But I can't imagine not liking it!

I got heaps of pet peeves:
One lesson wonders (or 6 week wonders)
People that only want to learn so they can impress their friends with a shimmy
Or worse: they want to learn because they think it's some bedroom thing
People that don't turn up for classes, and only turn up once in a while and thus have missed so much they can't keep up with the rest anymore
People that want to hire a belly dancer 'just for a joke' so don't want to pay full price

Roshanna

...when people want performance opportunities, but don't want to come to class because they have taken some classes before at some point, and think they know enough/know it all so can just join a troupe and practise at home and never take class. AKA improveritis, because it's almost always improver-level dancers (having taken maybe 1-2 years of classes, possibly in the distant past), who are often pretty sure in their own minds that they are actually 'advanced'...

...at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, anyone describing fusion, or Western music, as 'modern', as if Egyptian music and dance was all old-fashioned.

...dancers who will go to great lengths to attend an event where they are performing, but will leave nothing but rolling tumbleweeds if they are invited to watch a professional-quality show that they are not a part of.

...clients who explain in great detail how their event will be 'great exposure' for you (spoiler - it won't...), and expect a discount.

...clients who explain that their budget is small, and ask if you could maybe send some of your beginner students for free? (because everyone loves watching terrified baby dancers?)

Aniseteph

Student level generic global mixed up off topic fusion style belly dance being presented to the general public without making it pretty explicit what it is they are watching (ie. student participatory fun, not pro belly dance). Glitzy evening-style costumes outdoors in the street.

The idea that because you think it's all one big belly dance umbrella, I should have any special interest whatsoever in styles that are completely different to the one I'm into. I love Egyptian, would be interested in the odd dabble in Turkish or American Orientale, but Tribal Fusion just not my bag. That one isn't so much a peeve as a <confused face>.

Calling it fusion when you aren't fusing anything of any substance. Wearing black and red and being a bit stompy or frowny doesn't make it flamenco fusion. Though I am not peeved if you manage a fusion of A and B that has practically no A or B left, because that amuses my snark monster.

Costuming that makes no sense (saris?). Lingerie bras, obviously.

Orientalism - I feel like such a killjoy but all that sultans and harem girls stuff does not sit well with me.

And definitely the Western music = modern thing. Really annoying.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Glitzy evening-style costumes outdoors in the street.
- in the daylight
Orientalism - I feel like such a killjoy but all that sultans and harem girls stuff does not sit well with me.
- Especially when there's a male dancer involved.

I've been stuck doing both of the above because the teacher/troupe leader/event organizer wanted it that way. Glitzy Cabaret costumes just don't look right by the light of day - especially outdoors. And I got roped into the Sultan/Harem schtick once - NEVER again!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oh goodness! SO sorry you had to deal with that!
Yea, it kinda caught me by surprise, and it would have been very awkward to bow out at that particular point in time.

I would have had a discussion with the instructor involved - whom I really do respect - but she moved away anyways.

Amulya

I don't mind the glitzy costumes during the day, what else is a cabaret dancer going to wear during the day that looks professional? It easily looks unprofessional. Speaking of that:

Something that pissed me off today: a friend posted a picture of him performing and there was some frumpy looking belly dance troupe behind him (I don't think they were performing with him, not sure, I think he was singing, he's a singer) with mismatched costumes (if those things can be called costumes) and just totally unprofessional looking. And they have a name as troupe as well so they are presenting as professional. And now people in that town probably think that's what this dance is :(

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't mind the glitzy costumes during the day, what else is a cabaret dancer going to wear during the day that looks professional? It easily looks unprofessional.
No question - I just prefer to dance at nite for this very reason. BD in the daytime just doesn't feel right to me - although I do plenty of it like most every other dancer. But my pref is for nite - preferably late!

Amulya

Yes I prefer night too, the light is nicer for costumes and somehow it's a better atmosphere. My last performances were during the day, that's just not the same!

Suzanne Azhaar

Peeves of the moment~

Buy tickets to a fabulous dance show. Look forward to it for a month. Contract nasty hacking congested cold potentially making me patient zero in a theater of 300 seats plus performers. So I stay home missing all the fun. (Kicks hip scarf in frustration. Second time I purchased tickets and missed it.)

Cold from hell continues and thus far I have missed six dance class, three shows, cancelled on my student three weeks in a row and knocked off my feet from coughing more times than I care to experience. This majorly stinks. :mad::mad::mad: I am not amused.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Oh, serious hugs, Suzanne... from a safe distance, of course. ;) Missing the show is definitely adding insult to injury.