Sliding towards Fusion?

Roshanna

You look like you're having a lovely time, which is really nice :)

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but do be careful about describing western pop music as 'modern', as it can imply that middle Eastern music is not modern or is old fashioned, which just isn't true.

I liked that you included zilling!

Afrit

Nice. Really looks like you were enjoying yourself. But I was trying to think of an alternative belt! Maybe something with shiny shells - all leather and brass?

Aniseteph

It must be something to do with that relaxed feel and how you seemed to be enjoying it, but IMHO you are safely this side of the fusion dark side line. Not even a toe.

ITA with Afrit on the belt - the outfit was very nicely put together and worked really well with the music and your style, is there a belt that'd go with the theme? :think:

You brightened up my morning, thank you. :cool: :clap:

BigJim

From the replies I'm picking up on a common theme that seems to be coming through..... That I was really enjoying performing.

I feel I've progressed from the first time I soloed and was almost overwhelmed by the experience... excited, nervous...worried.... to where I am now.

Yes... I was enjoying the moment.... but thinking about it there are a lot of reasons why...

I knew that the crowd would be friendly... there were alot of dancers in the crowd who I knew and have become friends with over the years...

I was very familiar with the music... had it signposted for the changes... was trying to improv so wasn't tied into a choreography that I had to worry about...

I was happy with my costume and how it looked... but I will think hard about a new style belt.. (thanks)

But probably the biggest factor was my attitude before I went on stage... I don't perform very often so when I do it is special to me.... my thoughts are that this is just like Christmas... a time to be happy... enjoy yourself and share with others...

And it was fun....

Thanks again for the replies... Jim
But probably the biggest fa

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Is the video still up? I can't seem to get it to load for me but I am getting no error saying that it is not available.

BigJim

Diana... I just tried it and it comes up for me.... just click on the subject line attached to the post.... Hope you can see it... Jim

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Got it working. It looks good to me. You looked like you were having a lot of fun. I know how challenging it can be to dance to non-traditional music. My troupe does this every once and while. I wouldn't be able to choreograph to it but hey if you enjoy it and it works for you all the best.

Duvet

You looked relaxed and happy!! And the audience sounded relaxed and happy!!
Thats the best kind of dancing - whether fusion or traditional.
Thanks for sharing.:dance:

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but do be careful about describing western pop music as 'modern', as it can imply that middle Eastern music is not modern or is old fashioned, which just isn't true.
One wud say, in terms of its pull power, like making one wanna get up out there, and join in with the song & dance among the crowd, Arabic music is up there with the best of them.

Just put on a song by Dominique Hourani or Haifa Wehbe, Myriam Fares or Farah Sarah, and ya'll know what one means.

Delightful Dominique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAChxNYANc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDmxocbpWMQ

Last edited: