I am officially retired

Shanazel

from public dance performances after thirty-five years, give or take a year or two lapse during the other three times I retired. This retirement is gonna take, though. Last night my students performed and did a great job of it, too. I sat in the front row and took pictures. My thoughts pre-performance: "Hallelujah, I don't have to spend an hour getting dressed and made up." y thoughts post-performance: "Thank goodness I don't have to take off make-up and body glitter."

I think I'm really ready this time. :)

I'll keep teaching until they throw me out but I'm dumping the stage make up and selling the costumes and fancy fabric.

Attachments

• 4296.jpg
    4296.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Happy retirement ( performance wise) to you:dance::clap: Great photo & fab achievement - 35 years dancing WOW!. You would probably have a hard time retiring from teaching, your ladies would probably wear you down until you came back.

Farasha Hanem

I wish you every happiness in your retirement from performing, and hope you still have a long and happy teaching career. <3

Shanazel

Thank you. I've been slowing down for several years but that's not the same as DONE. ;)

You're right about my students, Mosaic. They know where I live and will be here Wednesday night for our twice yearly hafla.

Erik

Well, there's another thing to make me sad, Shanazel, but you know best with regards to what is right for you. Best wishes.

Aniseteph

I thought for a minute you were retiring from all things belly dance... nooooooooo!!!!! I am strangely relieved it's just the performing, like it's any of my business...

Happy performingretirement, happy teachingnotretirement. :D

Erik

I've been rather busy with something which is very important to me, but I still look over here once in a great while, like last night. I was shocked at first because I thought you were walking away from the dance scene altogether. Hopefully that isn't the case. :D

Daimona

Initial reaction after reading thread title: "Huh? Tired?" (misreading it as "I am officially tired")

Initial reaction after reading title for the second time and understanding what it really was about: "Noooooooo!"
Second thought: "Ah, from performing. I totally understand. I'm considering retire myself from performing..."
Third thought: "Oh, wait, you've been doing this how many times longer than me??? Sh*t! You're the goddess!!"

Happy performance retirement, and continue to enjoy driving your students crazy in class, Shanazel! :dance:

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Using Daimona's framework:

First thought: NOOOOOO! My friends become immortal while they dance, and they dance FOREVER!!!!!

Second thought: You know when it's time. I knew when it was time for me to make a few dance decisions, and there was nothing ANYONE could say to change my mind. And, I am far happier now that the decisions have been made. So, I get it. I may not like it; but, I get it. Just, please, keep dispensing advice and wisdom. We need and love it. And, thank you for learning so much, and sharing it with us.

Amulya

I won't be the only retired dancer anymore here :) (though I hope my retirement isn't permanent) you will stay on here won't you :)

Shanazel

Amulya, the only way I leave OD is for OD to leave me first. :cool: I loves all y'alls and would be bereft without you in particular, my partner in costumes!

Safran

Ok, so maybe you can give up performing that easy... but getting rid of pretty fabrics and not hoarding any more... good luck dear! :rolleyes::lol: