Post Thanks / Like

Default Floorwork and your shins

I've started doing a little bit of floorwork, including drops. My shins have been taking a beating! I'm not dropping hard to the ground (I have other dance training that helps me lower myself from standing to the floor pretty smoothly), but I'm still getting a little bruised.

Is this something that I just need to work through and toughen up my shins? Is there something I can wear during practice to help offset the trauma? What about if I decided to perform? Or should I just wear something to help during practice and suck it up if I went on stage?

Any tips, thoughts or advice is welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

I usually wear a pair on knee guards when practicing floor work, which partly covers my shins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I usually wear a pair on knee guards when practicing floor work, which partly covers my shins.
    Did you get them from a dance store or like a sports shop?

Post Thanks / Like

No, no. She buys them from the place that sells hockey gear.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

LOL!!! ILU, Shan!

Actually, Dancing, I bought them where I work, at Walmart. They're a bit bulky (they came from the Sporting Goods department), but they serve their purpose uncle for class, and for dancing outside at Ren Faires, underneath our harem pants. I'm currently not dancing with my old troupe, but if I do get the chance to go back, I'm seriously rethinking the whole dancing at Ren Faires thing (but that's off-topic).

I'm not sure, but there are probably knee/shin guards for dancers that aren't quite as cumbersome as sports ones. You can check online dance wear stores to see what's available.

EDIT: "Purpose UNCLE???" @_____@ WHYYYYYYY is my iPad being so WEEEEEEEEIRD????

Post Thanks / Like

I use these knee pads from Discount Dance Supply. They are a little bulky, but generally are OK underneath loose pants or a full skirt. And alas, looks like they only come in black. But they work like magic -- I can drop to my knees on a hard floor and barely feel it.
    http://www.discountdance.com/dancewe...&SID=579592658

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm curious about the Renn Faire thing Farasha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Now I'm curious about the Renn Faire thing Farasha
    I'll explain more in the "Rethinking" thread, Jane. As for using knee pads there, we do (did? do? did? ) a couple of routines that include floor work (well, GROUND work?): a sword number, and a skirt number. In one part of the skirt dance, some of us drop to our knees and do a back bend while shimmying our hips. Without those knee pads, you just might get some Oklahoma stickers in your knees (to say nothing of the pain of dropping to your knees on the hard ground!)! @____@