Floorwork and your shins

DancingArabian

I've started doing a little bit of floorwork, including drops. My shins have been taking a beating! I'm not dropping hard to the ground (I have other dance training that helps me lower myself from standing to the floor pretty smoothly), but I'm still getting a little bruised.

Is this something that I just need to work through and toughen up my shins? Is there something I can wear during practice to help offset the trauma? What about if I decided to perform? Or should I just wear something to help during practice and suck it up if I went on stage?

Any tips, thoughts or advice is welcome!

Farasha Hanem

LOL!!! ILU, Shan! :D

Actually, Dancing, I bought them where I work, at Walmart. They're a bit bulky (they came from the Sporting Goods department), but they serve their purpose uncle for class, and for dancing outside at Ren Faires, underneath our harem pants. I'm currently not dancing with my old troupe, but if I do get the chance to go back, I'm seriously rethinking the whole dancing at Ren Faires thing (but that's off-topic).

I'm not sure, but there are probably knee/shin guards for dancers that aren't quite as cumbersome as sports ones. You can check online dance wear stores to see what's available. :)

EDIT: "Purpose UNCLE???" @_____@ WHYYYYYYY is my iPad being so WEEEEEEEEIRD????

Farasha Hanem

Now I'm curious about the Renn Faire thing Farasha :)

I'll explain more in the "Rethinking" thread, Jane. :) As for using knee pads there, we do (did? do? did? :think: :confused: ) a couple of routines that include floor work (well, GROUND work?): a sword number, and a skirt number. In one part of the skirt dance, some of us drop to our knees and do a back bend while shimmying our hips. Without those knee pads, you just might get some Oklahoma stickers in your knees (to say nothing of the pain of dropping to your knees on the hard ground!)! @____@