Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I found that out when I went over to Chuck's other thread. Hope he'll be a regular and not just a drop in advertiser. Hear that, Chuck?

Hugs to you, Samira. If you ever want to take a class in middle eastern embroidery, let me know and I'll waive the fee.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 08-15-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

We can probably lure him in with PopTarts. He's a big fan of Blueberry.

Post Thanks / Like

someone say Blueberry?????

Post Thanks / Like

I taught my first workshop outside my country with a deal, which was something in the lines of that. I had a plan to attend the event anyway, and I found the package offered to "newbie" teachers quite satisfactory. Besides, I know the organiser, and I have attended her events before - she is dedicated to what she does, and she is not out to make money off the new instructors...

However, I know plenty of events, where you are welcome to teach as long as you bring in a certain number of participants yourself. It seems to be a functioning business model, but I am not sure this is something I would aim for...

Post Thanks / Like

More teachers need to help push the events more... Back in the day it wasn't as hard to draw a crowd, now with so many events, and money being tighter, promoters are looking at teachers who will help,,,, Teachers have a built in fan base, they have FaceBook pages, blogs, twitter, Instagram and all that. If you are a teacher and you want to have an edge over others, let the promoter know that you will use all the avenues you have to help promote the event.

If you are working on a % it is really too your benefit. If you have a fuller class, again, the promoter see's that, and promoters talk and word gets out who is a "helpful" teacher and who is not... again, great for your long term lifestyle...

Post Thanks / Like

Promoting? Of course! I think it is a mutually beneficial activity - both the instructor and the event get more visibility that way. But what I had in mind were events where you are supposed to show up with your own group of students.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Safran View Post
    I taught my first workshop outside my country with a deal, which was something in the lines of that. I had a plan to attend the event anyway, and I found the package offered to "newbie" teachers quite satisfactory. Besides, I know the organiser, and I have attended her events before - she is dedicated to what she does, and she is not out to make money off the new instructors...

However, I know plenty of events, where you are welcome to teach as long as you bring in a certain number of participants yourself. It seems to be a functioning business model, but I am not sure this is something I would aim for...

Yeah, I'd find the tacky. It's my job as the producer to fill the classes. And I work hard to make sure I hire the right people and create a schedule and topics that are attractive to attendees. And sometimes I get it wrong and don't get enough students in a session to event pay the teacher, let alone the room. However, the teacher still gets the contracted pay & trade. It's not the job of the teacher to bring the students with them. IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

But I do agree with Chuck that teachers should help promote their own classes. I do a lot of promotion and have a fairly hefty ad budget, but it still helps when the teachers appear excited to participate. Win-win.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12