Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bahrein

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know the difference between different types of thobes?

Thoub al-mufahah is made out of silk pieces of different colours. The pieces are rectangular and placed next to each other horizontally and vertically. The pieces are sewn together with silk embroidery, and there is very elaborate embroidery at the neckline and cuffs.

Thoub al-Nashel is a silk dress, made only of one colour (usually green, red or purple). This is a bridal thobe, but it is also worn at other very festive occasions. What makes the thobe exquisite is the elaborate embroidery.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thobe al mufahah.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	10171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thobe al nashel.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	10172  

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that; how fascinating!

I often come across silk garments at second hand stores and occasionally buy them for the silk. As a result, I have a stock pile of varied amounts of different silk. Now I have a new project in mind for all that miscellaneous silk. Thanks, Safran!!!!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, do share pictures when the project happens!

I think I will go the easy way and check out the souk some time this week... I'm bound to find some of those thobes there

Post Thanks / Like

If we had a souk somewhere between the Werner Wildlife Museum and the YMCA, I'd be in heaven!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

The Muraddah Dance

On the first afternoon after ramadan, women of all ages gather to courtyards to celebrate. They dress up for that, wear their best perfumes and jewellery. They hold hands and form to rows facing each other. The sing and stomp their feet while moving forward and back.

Name:	muraddah.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	10181  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Safran View Post

Here goes... It appears that Bahrein is know for exquisite embroidery. Traditionally they would use gold thread (zari), silver thread (khoos), cotton and silk. And looking at the traditional clothes, to me it seems that Bahreinis love-love-love colours and decorations in general.

Nakdeh is using the thick gold or silver thread to embroid motifs used on women's garments.

Toor is kind of a cross-stitch, made with silk thread. It would come in different colours, but blue was preferred. Toor was used on women's summer clothes, which were made of cotton, but also on the men's headdress ghutra.

The ghutra was also decorated with fringe or tassles of cotton and silk.

That example with the black cloth looks like a piece of assuit. Is it related/are they different?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    That example with the black cloth looks like a piece of assuit. Is it related/are they different?
    I was actually thinking the same thing... It looks very much like Assuit, I guess it is just called with a different name here

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kurar embroidery

Kurar is an old embroidery technique typical to Muharraq, a municipality in the North of Bahrain. It requires at least 2 people working on one garment at the same time: it is usually 2-3 women weaving the golden thread into a ribbon while the head woman embroiders it onto the garments at the same time.

The Kurar House is a project that keeps this old tradition alive. It is a renovated townhouse, where older ladies actually gather on a few mornings of the week to do the embroidery. Unfortunately I missed the ladies, as they are on a holiday now. But I did get to take photos (with my phone, so pardon the fuzziness

Name:	065.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	10203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scales.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	10204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	068.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	10205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	069.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	10206  

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Just WOW! (And she hurries off to look up more information online.) Thanks so much for these glimpses of Bahrain's embroidery, Safran.

Post Thanks / Like

"Wow. Just WOW!" was exactly my reaction, too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast