Bahrein

Safran

I am in Bahrein for three months now... and I must say, before I came here, all I knew was that it was an island. So, I figured I would start a thread with some photos and tidbits that I've learned here. I mean, I will probably posting more on Facebook, but I know that not all of you are there :lol:

So, here we go. Yesterday I went to the Bahrein National Museum, and here's what I learned about traditional weddings.

- Two days before the wedding a good-luck party is held for the bride, where she sits on a chair and women hold a green cloth over her head, moving it up and down and singing songs.
- The night before the wedding, when everyone else is celebrating, the bride sits in a separate room and has her henna done. If her face is seen before the wedding, she is believed to lose her beauty.
- The first day of marriage the bride sits in full dress and jewelry with her eyes closed while the female guests get to "inspect" her.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 234

Safran

Oh yeah, I definitely want to go there for a second time... I just could not absorb all the information in one go! :lol:

Safran

Oh, I have some photos of embroidery coming up next, Shanazel... I am sure you will love those... Just let me get back from work :cool:

Safran

:lol:

Here goes... It appears that Bahrein is know for exquisite embroidery. Traditionally they would use gold thread (zari), silver thread (khoos), cotton and silk. And looking at the traditional clothes, to me it seems that Bahreinis love-love-love colours and decorations in general.

Nakdeh is using the thick gold or silver thread to embroid motifs used on women's garments.

Toor is kind of a cross-stitch, made with silk thread. It would come in different colours, but blue was preferred. Toor was used on women's summer clothes, which were made of cotton, but also on the men's headdress ghutra.

The ghutra was also decorated with fringe or tassles of cotton and silk.

Attachments

• nakdeh.jpg
    nakdeh.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Toor.jpg
    Toor.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 170
  • ghutra.jpg
    ghutra.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 161
  • embroidery.jpg
    embroidery.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 179

Mosaic

Super Moderator
What an interesting experience Safran, I love hearing about other cultures so keep the tidbits coming:)
~Mosaic

Safran

I'm glad you like the stuff I'm sharing. I must say, even though Bahrein does not sound like a major tourism destination, the places I have been to, have really been tailored for visitors. For example, yesterday I was in Al Fateh Grand Mosque, and I had two (!) tourguides explaining the mosque and islam to me.

Safran

Do you know the difference between different types of thobes?

Thoub al-mufahah is made out of silk pieces of different colours. The pieces are rectangular and placed next to each other horizontally and vertically. The pieces are sewn together with silk embroidery, and there is very elaborate embroidery at the neckline and cuffs.

Thoub al-Nashel is a silk dress, made only of one colour (usually green, red or purple). This is a bridal thobe, but it is also worn at other very festive occasions. What makes the thobe exquisite is the elaborate embroidery.

Attachments

• thobe al mufahah.jpg
    thobe al mufahah.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 416
  • thobe al nashel.jpg
    thobe al nashel.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 481

Shanazel

I didn't know that; how fascinating!

I often come across silk garments at second hand stores and occasionally buy them for the silk. As a result, I have a stock pile of varied amounts of different silk. Now I have a new project in mind for all that miscellaneous silk. Thanks, Safran!!!!

Safran

Ooh, do share pictures when the project happens!

I think I will go the easy way and check out the souk some time this week... I'm bound to find some of those thobes there ;)

Safran

The Muraddah Dance

On the first afternoon after ramadan, women of all ages gather to courtyards to celebrate. They dress up for that, wear their best perfumes and jewellery. They hold hands and form to rows facing each other. The sing and stomp their feet while moving forward and back.

Attachments

• muraddah.jpg
    muraddah.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 141

Jeanne

:lol:

Here goes... It appears that Bahrein is know for exquisite embroidery. Traditionally they would use gold thread (zari), silver thread (khoos), cotton and silk. And looking at the traditional clothes, to me it seems that Bahreinis love-love-love colours and decorations in general.

Nakdeh is using the thick gold or silver thread to embroid motifs used on women's garments.

Toor is kind of a cross-stitch, made with silk thread. It would come in different colours, but blue was preferred. Toor was used on women's summer clothes, which were made of cotton, but also on the men's headdress ghutra.

The ghutra was also decorated with fringe or tassles of cotton and silk.

That example with the black cloth looks like a piece of assuit. Is it related/are they different?

Safran

That example with the black cloth looks like a piece of assuit. Is it related/are they different?

I was actually thinking the same thing... It looks very much like Assuit, I guess it is just called with a different name here :)

Safran

Kurar embroidery

Kurar is an old embroidery technique typical to Muharraq, a municipality in the North of Bahrain. It requires at least 2 people working on one garment at the same time: it is usually 2-3 women weaving the golden thread into a ribbon while the head woman embroiders it onto the garments at the same time.

The Kurar House is a project that keeps this old tradition alive. It is a renovated townhouse, where older ladies actually gather on a few mornings of the week to do the embroidery. Unfortunately I missed the ladies, as they are on a holiday now. But I did get to take photos (with my phone, so pardon the fuzziness ;)

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 121
  • scales.jpg
    scales.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 173

Shanazel

Wow. Just WOW! (And she hurries off to look up more information online.) Thanks so much for these glimpses of Bahrain's embroidery, Safran.