Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bahrein

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bahrein

I am in Bahrein for three months now... and I must say, before I came here, all I knew was that it was an island. So, I figured I would start a thread with some photos and tidbits that I've learned here. I mean, I will probably posting more on Facebook, but I know that not all of you are there

So, here we go. Yesterday I went to the Bahrein National Museum, and here's what I learned about traditional weddings.

- Two days before the wedding a good-luck party is held for the bride, where she sits on a chair and women hold a green cloth over her head, moving it up and down and singing songs.
    - The night before the wedding, when everyone else is celebrating, the bride sits in a separate room and has her henna done. If her face is seen before the wedding, she is believed to lose her beauty.
    - The first day of marriage the bride sits in full dress and jewelry with her eyes closed while the female guests get to "inspect" her.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	035.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	10164  

Post Thanks / Like

The National Museum in Manama is fantastic isn't it? And so interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I definitely want to go there for a second time... I just could not absorb all the information in one go!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting here. I am not a Facebook person but am interested in your experiences.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I have some photos of embroidery coming up next, Shanazel... I am sure you will love those... Just let me get back from work

Post Thanks / Like

(Clutches the edge of her desk and stares into the computer in joyful anticipation.)
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Here goes... It appears that Bahrein is know for exquisite embroidery. Traditionally they would use gold thread (zari), silver thread (khoos), cotton and silk. And looking at the traditional clothes, to me it seems that Bahreinis love-love-love colours and decorations in general.

Nakdeh is using the thick gold or silver thread to embroid motifs used on women's garments.

Toor is kind of a cross-stitch, made with silk thread. It would come in different colours, but blue was preferred. Toor was used on women's summer clothes, which were made of cotton, but also on the men's headdress ghutra.

The ghutra was also decorated with fringe or tassles of cotton and silk.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nakdeh.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	10165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toor.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	10166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghutra.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	10167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embroidery.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	10168  

Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting experience Safran, I love hearing about other cultures so keep the tidbits coming
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Coooool! Thanks, Safran.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you like the stuff I'm sharing. I must say, even though Bahrein does not sound like a major tourism destination, the places I have been to, have really been tailored for visitors. For example, yesterday I was in Al Fateh Grand Mosque, and I had two (!) tourguides explaining the mosque and islam to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast