Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the same age as my troupemates, and they're still going strong and not thinking about retiring. We do try not to bring up the age thing since they are older than my mom, but we still perform together and one of them definitely gets higher hops than I can get. There is this other dancer (who used to be in the troupe for YEARS) that my troupies keep saying that when they grow up, they want to be her. She's amazing. And I was only just informed that she was actually quite older than my troupies. But she's still performing. I'll be in a community show with her next month and I'm super excited.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see how someone might want to retire if they feel that they are no longer cutting it as a pro, or don't fit the commercial image any more, or don't fit their own image of what a belly dancer should be, or are just needing a change. That's up to them, but I've seen plenty of older dancers who are incredible and inspiring, and anyone who thinks they should not be still dancing/teaching and inspiring the likes of me because they are past some arbitrary age cut off is clearly determined to make the universe that little bit more dull and miserable.

No one is ever going to be That Dancer while she still has something to offer, IMO. It's not an age thing; some people are That Dancer at 25.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same questions about my age. I say go for it. I may never make my living as a dancer, but I think we should all be the best we can be and learn all we can and share all we can. Go for it! Pepper Alexandria and Sahra Kent are still dancing their socks off!

Post Thanks / Like

You are never to old unless you feel you are too old to dance!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

My mom started learning a new style of dance at about 60, and started teaching it a couple years later. As long as you can dance well and teach well, you're never too old to teach!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the really positive things about belly dance is that you're never too old. Age may hold you back on certain things (e.g. it may be hard to get restaurant gigs if you're past a certain age), but you are never too old in general to perform, compete, or teach. I had my first teaching gig in my middle 50s, and only stopped because the studio where I was teaching folded. May look for another teaching spot later -- and I'm 60.

Post Thanks / Like

To old to teach? Nah. Being an educator does not have an age limit as far as I am concerned and in fact the riper the teacher, the more s/he may have to impart. I enjoy watching older dancers perform. My enjoyment isn't diminished because of his/her age. To me comments about "that dancer" means someone who is past the age where s/he can wear certain types of costuming but is still doing it. Like in civilian life, there comes a time when you're just to old to wear "juicy" bejeweled sweat pants.
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of us were too old for juicy bejeweled sweat pants before we graduated from grade school.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, I appreciate everyone's input, and most of all, your encouragement. <3 I love this dance so much, love the music, the people, the culture, and want to share it with everyone, and I DO mean everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I can see how someone might want to retire if they feel that they are no longer cutting it as a pro, or don't fit the commercial image any more, or don't fit their own image of what a belly dancer should be, or are just needing a change. That's up to them, but I've seen plenty of older dancers who are incredible and inspiring, and anyone who thinks they should not be still dancing/teaching and inspiring the likes of me because they are past some arbitrary age cut off is clearly determined to make the universe that little bit more dull and miserable.

No one is ever going to be That Dancer while she still has something to offer, IMO. It's not an age thing; some people are That Dancer at 25.
    It's like the famous quote of "a dancer has nothing to dance about until she is at least 35." And the richness of maturity in a dance cannot be learned in a workshop or classes. I am not discrediting younger dancers. When I was a younger dancer, I used to look at more mature dancers and I saw the depth of being an older person, and to be truthful, I wanted that to show up in my own dance as I got older.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast