Favourite Dancers

Amulya

Let's talk about who inspires you. Like I mentioned in the other thread I really like The Indigo as a troupe, but I do like them as individual dancers too, think their are pretty amazing.
My favourites have changed over time, when I first discovered American Tribal style I was a fan of BCBD, but started liking Gypsy Caravan more when I saw them life. I bought all their CDs at once! But once I discovered Tribal Fusion I got stuck with that.

Darshiva

I really like Kajira's relaxed style - it fits with what I have been doing for years under oriental style. But I'm a really huge fan of Carrie Konyha - her tribaret is a glorious fusion of tribal & oriental, and yet so very distinctive & full of personality. I also really like Sabine, but not for her sword stuff. She's got so much going on but all that most people seem to focus on is her spectacular sword skills, but she's so much more than that!

Safran

I love-love-LOVE Anasma! She is very creative, she is an excellent dancer, and she is always captivating to watch. Plus, I've met her in real life and she is a sweetheart.

Salome

Administrator
Sabine, but not for her sword stuff. She's got so much going on but all that most people seem to focus on is her spectacular sword skills, but she's so much more than that!

She is a nice person and very educated about dance too.

Salome

Administrator
I love-love-LOVE Anasma! She is very creative, she is an excellent dancer, and she is always captivating to watch. Plus, I've met her in real life and she is a sweetheart.

Agreed, I've seen her perform only a couple of times but my take was that she is very creative and is not repeating what other people are doing but does seem to have a lot of originality.

Dunyah

Three fusion dancers that I admire are based in Portland, OR and are not so well known outside of Oregon. Yet. Grace Constantine and Katy Swenson. Also Sedona Soulfire has a foundation in American Cabaret, Egyptian, Tribal Fusion, and Indian dance. I saw her do a snake dance at the Portland Mid East Camp that was mind-blowing. She definitely can take an audience to another space. It was like being in a Conan movie, only WAY better! Her presentation is usually more on the cabaret side, but the lines between tribal fusion and cabaret are getting blurry lately.

Here is a nice video clip of Grace Constantine[video=youtube_share;E6fDr6F2bpI]http://youtu.be/E6fDr6F2bpI[/video]

Darshiva

She is a nice person and very educated about dance too.

Yeah, I found that too. A friend of mine hosted Sabine for workshops last year and I was lucky enough to have a chat with her over breakfast. It was so engrossing I completely forgot to pay and had to run back to the cafe to pay them!

bomu samba

Also Sedona Soulfire has a foundation in American Cabaret, Egyptian, Tribal Fusion, and Indian dance. I saw her do a snake dance at the Portland Mid East Camp that was mind-blowing. She definitely can take an audience to another space. It was like being in a Conan movie, only WAY better! Her presentation is usually more on the cabaret side, but the lines between tribal fusion and cabaret are getting blurry lately.
Interesting! I know she runs some of Datura Studio's online classes but I've only ever seen her AmCab dance. I will definitely look up some of her other stuff.

This thread is going to be a great (re)introduction to dancers! Two that I really enjoy watching are Donna Mejia and Mardi Love.

Ariadne

Well I've really enjoyed looking up everyone's favorites on youtube. It's been awhile since I've done that so it was rather nice.

Back a year ago my favorite dancer was Ruby Beh. She hasn't been replaced I'm just out of touch. I do love watching Sedona Soulfire though, she has to have been a close second.