Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not dance! I shall say more: I detest dancing – I abhor it from the depths of my soul.
    Carlo Collodi, the author of Pinocchio (1861)

Post Thanks / Like

This thread makes this song play in my head, so...

Stephen Fry is on TV right now talking about being bipolar. If dancing is an affliction it is a happier one than a cocaine habit.

Also I found a very old video of him in a sketch about embarrassing Morris dancers which probably counts as dance aversion therapy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Anisteph. I knew the song, but I hadn't seen the routine that went with it. Funny how she begs and coaxes him to dance with her to make her happy and because he's sooo charming, and when he finally does dance she fades into the background and gets forgotten while he takes up the whole floor and becomes a veritable show-off. Sound familiar to anyone?
    Last edited by Duvet; 09-25-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no desire to prove anything by it [dancing]. I have never used it as an outlet or a means of expressing myself..
    Fred Astaire, Steps in Time (1959)

Mr. Astaire is the nearest approach we are ever likely to have to a human Mickey Mouse; he might have been drawn by Mr. Walt Disney, with his quick physical wit, his incredible agility.
    Graham Greene , The Spectator (1936)

[Mr. Llewellyn believed that one should] leave eccentric dancing to the professionals. A man, he held, is either Fred Astaire or he is not Fred Astaire, and if he is not Fred Astaire he should not carry on like him.
    P.G. Wodehouse, Bachelors Anonymous (1973)

Post Thanks / Like

The north side of the graveyard was set apart for unbaptized infants and executed criminals, and it was permitted the people to dance or play tennis in that part.
    M D Conway – Demonology and Devil Lore (1879)

Which quote, through the wonders of internet surfing, led me to this video;

Post Thanks / Like

[Socrates said] “Don’t you know that just the other day Charmides here caught me dancing early in the morning?” “Indeed I did,” said Charmides, “and at first I was dumbfounded and feared that you were going completely mad.”
    Xenophon - Symposium (c.367 BC)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh please! Cicero was eloquent with his speech but he wasn't much for getting off of his culo, and others who trash it just don't know how and won't take the time to learn. Darwin was known to be depressed a lot - maybe if he started dancing he may have gotten rid of the blues, started watching new styles of dance and stopped watching bugs and reptiles so much!

Post Thanks / Like

I had to laugh at this one;

Line dancing is as sinful as any other type of dancing, with its sexual gestures and touching. It is an incitement to lust.
    Dr. Ian Paisley - Burning Bush magazine (May 2001)

Dr. Paisley would have been sorely disappointed regarding the lascivious potential of line dancing if he'd ever bothered to try it at his local town hall. Either that, or I'm going to the wrong classes!

Post Thanks / Like

I've done line dancing in many form and this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider the source. He's a theologian.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast