Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which one? All of the above against dancing were extremists too.

Post Thanks / Like

"We do not quarrel with dancing in itself, captain; it is forbidden because it leads to immorality, which troubles the peace of the countryside and corrupts its manners.”
    Honore Balzac - the Country Doctor (1833)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    Dance has been considered a grave sin by church, particularly the dance done by women. Remember that witchhunt has a justification that women-witches gather and dance in the nights under moonlight.
    That depends on the church and the time period. My own has always sponsored public dances and encouraged socialization at them. Here's the most negative quote from a leader on the subject I could find:

• There certainly can be no harm in dancing, in and of itself, as an abstract principle, but like all other athletic exercises, it has a tendency to invigorate the system and to promote health . . . Therefore, looking at dancing merely as an athletic exercise, or as something having a tendency to add to the grace and dignity of man, by enabling him to have a more easy and graceful attitude, certainly no one could object to it . . . As an abstract principle . . . we have no objections to it; but when it leads people into bad complacency and causes them to keep untimely hours, it has a tendency to enervate and weaken the system, and lead to profligate and intemperate habits. And so far as it does this, so far is it injurious to society, and corrupting the morals of youth. -John Taylor

My mother told me about how when she was a youth there was one every Saturday night and how she always went and danced the whole time no matter how much her feet hurt. She was a great example.

Now I don't see how you can flirt while line dancing but my father admitted that he loved square dancing because it was so easy to flirt with a girl without anyone else knowing.

Post Thanks / Like

There were a lot of very strict Southern Baptists where I grew up. I remember feeling sorry for the kids who sat and watched during PE while the rest of us learned folk dances. My husband grew up in a religion that didn't allow dancing or cards or any number of activities. He does not, thank goodness, adhere to those beliefs. Can't imagine what life would be without him and I'd never have married someone who disapproved of me dancing.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

"Dancing begets warmth, which is the parent of wantonness. It is, Sir, the great grandfather of cuckoldom."
    Henry Fielding - Love in Several Masques (1728)

Post Thanks / Like

"…God has not given us our feet to use in a shameful way but in order that we may walk in decency, and not that we should dance like camels. For even as dancing camels make an unpleasant spectacle, much more so do women."
    John Chrysostom - Homilies on Matthew, no.48 (c.388 AD)
    Last edited by Duvet; 11-01-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: corrected to (alternative) translation

Post Thanks / Like

John Chrysostom sounds like a fun guy. And why camels? It sounds like he's got some personal baggage there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    John Chrysostom sounds like a fun guy. And why camels? It sounds like he's got some personal baggage there...
    He wasn't keen on camels. In another Homily he says;
    "Thorns are the food of irrational camels....For it is said by those who are acquainted with such things, that there is no animal so implacable, so sulky and revengeful, as a camel" (Homily III on Paul's 2nd Epistle to the Thessalonians)

And as for the habit of celebrating a wedding with dancing, he says;
    "Everything should be full of chasteness, of gravity, of orderliness; but now I see the reverse, people frisking like camels and mules." (Homily on Paul's Epistle to the Colossians)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, those early Christians were a barrel of laughs. Paul was a misogynist and John C. sounds like a royal pain in the neck.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    "theologians" - say no more.
    Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    Dance has been considered a grave sin by church, particularly the dance done by women. Remember that witchhunt has a justification that women-witches gather and dance in the nights under moonlight.
    I feel I ought to point out that these are 'bad-mouth' quotes. Not all are from theologians (or even Christians), and not all theologians considered dancing evil. There are plenty of quotes by Christians praising dance, but that's not the focus of this thread.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast