Bad-mouth Quotes

Duvet

For all the literary figures, celebrities, philosophers, theologians and intellectuals who think they know better about dancing.

[Dancing is] a farcical, meaningless, disgusting, brainless physical public exhibition...Not so much an accomplishment as an affliction.
Stephen Fry (2008)

He who dances must be drunk or mad.
Cicero

Last edited:

Duvet

[Mankind shares]...the almost universal habits of dancing, masquerading, and making rude pictures.
Charles Darwin - the Descent of Man (1871)

Last edited:

Duvet

I'm afraid not!! He admits it seems peculiar to himself, but he loathes it with a passion.

[video=youtube;P2Vii9awgIE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Vii9awgIE[/video]

Duvet

"What a charming amusement for young people this is, Mr. Darcy! There is nothing like dancing after all. I consider it as one of the first refinements of polished society."
"Certainly, sir; and it has the advantage also of being in vogue amongst the less polished societies of the world. Every savage can dance."
Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice (1813)

Last edited:

Amulya

Hahaha, I really dislike (that's an understatement) modern ballet so I can some sort of understand it a bit. To me modern ballet, or is it called contemporary dance? Not sure, but that stuff that's just utterly random movements that don't even look nice to me it doesn't make sense haha.

Darshiva

Unfortunately poor Mr Fry makes the mistake that so many westerners make that assumes one needs a beat in order to dance. Has he never heard of taxim?

I kid, he obviously hasn't. But I think that understanding it might go a long way toward explaining to him how one dances to Beethoven. ;)

walladah

Dance has been considered a grave sin by church, particularly the dance done by women. Remember that witchhunt has a justification that women-witches gather and dance in the nights under moonlight.

Darshiva

On Stephen Fry again (and apologies for the thread derail) it occurred to me that he might have something similar to dyslexia when it comes to comprehending and understanding dance. And that's totally okay, but I do kinda feel sorry for him and am trying to squash the urge to try to help!

Shanazel

Funny. That music makes me want to leap about, spin across the floor and do all sorts of balletic leaps I've never been capable of. It also makes me want to go frolicking across the snow in a troika for some reason.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. He just needs to shut up, shut up, shut up and go completely away. :yay::yay::yay::tongue:

Darshiva

That's a big mean Shan. It's kinda like mocking someone for hating on books because they can't read. Pity definitely wins out here. ;)

Duvet

I actually sympathise with Stephen Fry. I never understood the appeal of dancing. It was just a bunch of people moving in stupid ways to music. On the very rare occasions that I was persuaded to join in, I felt extremely self conscious and awkward - which only increased as others tried to encourage me further. The sense of bewilderment and isolation I felt watching it and not getting it, was only enhanced by trying it and still not getting it. It aggravated, and made me painfully aware of a pre-existing poor self image that I desperately wanted to hide from.

From what I've read of him, I would guess that Stephen Fry's attitude to dance is just a way of protecting himself. Shanazel is only giving back what Mr.Fry is so liberal with himself. I don't pity him or feel sorry for him. I just think he needs to deal with it. And if he doesn't want to deal with it, then shut up about it.

Last edited:

Darshiva

Meh, I find pity more productive than hate. :p

And with that we should wait for a response team to get this thread back on the rails! ;)

Amulya

Dance has been considered a grave sin by church, particularly the dance done by women. Remember that witchhunt has a justification that women-witches gather and dance in the nights under moonlight.

Not only in the west, other religions have tried to stamp out dance too. No idea why they see it as 'sinful' though, maybe because it's fun?

Duvet

Dancing is the vilest vice of all, and truly it cannot easily be said what mischiefs the sight and the hearing do receive hereby . . . [It is] an exercise not descended from heaven, but by the devils of hell devised.
John Northbrooke - A Treatise Against Dicing, Dancing, Plays and Other Idle Pastimes (1577).

Last edited:

Duvet

He who dances must be drunk or mad.
Cicero
This is actually a paraphrase. The proper translation is;

For no man, one may almost say, ever dances when sober, unless perhaps he be a madman
Cicero - In Defense of Lucius Murena (63 BC)

Duvet

Dancing is, in itself, a very trifling and silly thing; but it is one of those established follies to which people of sense are sometimes obliged to conform.
Lord Chesterfield, in a letter to his son (Nov 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 1745)