Shira's Teacher & Performer Directory - Being Updated

shiradotnet

I am in the process of working my way through bringing the Teacher & Performer Directory at www.shira.net/directory.htm on Shira.net completely up to date. If you have been waiting to be added, removed, or updated, this post describes my current status.

In Post #3 on this thread, which you can find at http://bellydanceforums.net/threads...-Being-Updated?p=232057&viewfull=1#post232057 , I have placed instructions on what to do if you want to be added, or if your entry needs to be updated. Please do NOT send me PM's asking me to add/update you. Instead, look for the post in this thread that contains the instructions. My online form partially automates the process and saves me work, whereas emails and PM's can be lost and make extra work for me.

Before I began the process on August 14, there were 551 requests from people to be added or updated. I have also been posting about this on Facebook, which led an additional 80 requests to be submitted, and I expect more to keep rolling in.

I've currently got 355 requests still pending. This means I have implemented 201 of the original requests, plus the 80 additional ones that came in, for a total of 281 completed so far. That's 281 changes in less than a month. I've been working really hard at this.

In Post #2 on this thread, which you can find at http://bellydanceforums.net/threads...-Being-Updated?p=232056&viewfull=1#post232056 , I have listed the locations that are DONE as of now, and I will come back to update this list as the project proceeds.

For these locations, there are NO pending requests in my inbox. Therefore, if you are in one of these places, please check your entry to see if it is current.

Last edited:

shiradotnet

These are the locations that are COMPLETELY updated as of October 1, 2014:

UNITED STATES
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia (Washington, DC)

Florida
Georgia
Hawaii

Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa

Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana

Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana

Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota

Ohio
Oklahoma

Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico

South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas

Utah
Vermont
Wisconsin
Wyoming

I will update this post as the project continues so that you can come back to this one to see whether your location has been done yet.

Last edited:

shiradotnet

Here's what to do if you visit your entry at Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers all Over the World! Belly Dancing Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers! and want it changed/removed. Or, what to do if you aren't there yet and want to be added.

Have you asked for your entry to be added or changed in the past?

If so:

If your original entry was in one of the locations identified in post #2 of this thread, then double-check to see if your change made it into my update. If your addition/update doesn't show up, then you need to submit a new request. You can do that via www.shira.net/dir-update.htm

If your location is NOT one of the ones identified in post #2 of this thread, then that means I have not gotten to your location yet. Please don't submit a duplicate request unless your information has changed. Duplicate requests raise my workload. So, wait until I get to your location, THEN check to see if further changes are needed.

If not:

Go ahead and submit a new request via www.shira.net/dir-update.htm

shiradotnet

I have finished updating Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin, and have updated post #2 in this thread accordingly. The process continues....

shiradotnet

Safran, ha ha, yes, it IS a pretty miserable process! Especially tedious when I tackle a huge location like California that has zillions of dancers. The last time I did it, the process was made even more horrible by the fact that I was also converting the directory from the old yellow-themed format to the new blue-themed design, and that meant I had to do a lot of tedious conversion work.

This time around, it's a little easier because I don't have that conversion thing to do, though I'm STILL doing some design updates - inserting some stuff to support social media in a more attractive way. Also, I'm sending emails to EVERY PERSON listed in each state that I have email addresses for, asking them to look at their entry and send updates if applicable, so dealing with that is taking extra time. That process of copying the emails over to my mail tool, then going back and removing the addresses that bounce back as undeliverable, is a real pain in the neck!

But my hope is that I'll get a lot of obsolete stuff cleaned out on this go-round. I can't eliminate it all, but I *think* every location listed in Post #2 on this thread is in pretty good shape now. Not perfect, but pretty good.

shiradotnet

Wyoming must look pretty easy after California.

Shanazel, indeed it does, and tonight I completed Wyoming! Take a look at your entry, and if you need any changes, you'll find the "update" form at www.shira.net/dir-update.htm

I've also updated Post #2 on this thread to indicate that I've completed all updates for Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wyoming.

shiradotnet

I have just edited post #2 in this thread to indicate that I have finished all updates to Mississippi and Montana. If you are in one of these places, please check your entry and (if needed) provide updates.

Darshiva

I'm still debating what needs to go onto an entry for myself (and I need to update stuff on other sites as well - yikes!)

How long do you think it will be before you will start on the international stuff, and ergo I need to make my decision about content & submit it?

shiradotnet

How long do you think it will be before you will start on the international stuff, and ergo I need to make my decision about content & submit it?

Hi Darshiva! I expect I'll finish the U.S. stuff around the end of September or early October. I haven't decided for sure what to tackle next after that. It'll depend on whether I think I have the stamina to tackle something daunting (such as Canada or the UK, both of which look like they'll require a huge amount of effort) or whether to tackle something simpler (Africa, Europe, etc.)

Darshiva

I'm probably not going to be on task until November so I'll wait until then if you don't mind. If you want to do Australia/Pacific region before then, let me know and I'll get something sorted out for you in time. :)

Farasha Hanem

I haven't started teaching, I'm still in the process of taking mentoring sessions with Darshiva, then I'll hopefully start my certification studies either at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Should I wait to submit a directory request until I get my certification? I'm in Oklahoma.

shiradotnet

Farasha, the "right" time to send in your entry is after you've actually begun to either seek professional performing gigs or offer classes. You don't really need to factor in your certification timing unless you're going to wait until AFTER certification to start teaching.

shiradotnet

I just updated Post #2 on this thread to show that I've processed ALL requests in my backlog for Nebraska, North Carolina, and North Dakota. All entries for all states listed in Post #2 should now reflect any requests you may have made in the past - if you don't see YOUR current info in there, that means that I need for you to use this link to ask me to add, remove, or update this entry:

http://www.shira.net/dir-update.htm

shiradotnet

I'm probably not going to be on task until November so I'll wait until then if you don't mind. If you want to do Australia/Pacific region before then, let me know and I'll get something sorted out for you in time. :)

It's ok to wait until November. Most likely I'll work on Canada before I start with Australia/Pacific, and Canada will probably take me a few weeks!

shiradotnet

I have finished the updates to Nevada and New Hampshire, and have updated Post #2 accordingly.

As word has gotten out that I'm updating the directory, I've received a lot of additional updates and new requests for addition. Last night, I processed a bunch of NEW requests that just arrived over the weekend for adding & updating dancers' entries in North Carolina, Nevada, and North Dakota.

The process continues....