Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

"bu bu but we can't datamine & sell your personal details to the highest bidder if you don't give us your full name and all your contact details!"

Just waiting for the moment when they require your credit card details and medicare/social security/etc number. It's coming.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post

I think the goal ultimately is to have performers use fan pages,

which would still mean people would have to interact with their real names on FB, if they like to get updates from other dancer's pages, they need a profile to like those pages. And it would get so confusing, one name for theit page and another name for their profile which they might use for posting in groups. I have new been able to keep up with all the names, I just try to remember the dance names and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I'm well known for my virulent dislike of facesuck - and this is the NUMBER ONE reason. I. DO. NOT. USE. MY. LEGAL. NAME. ON. THE. INTERNET. PERIOD.
    Same, and I don't understand why people do, unless they are an author of a book and publish under their legal name, or something else where it is useful for them. But otherwise, why would people?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    ]

which would still mean people would have to interact with their real names on FB, if they like to get updates from other dancer's pages, they need a profile to like those pages. And it would get so confusing, one name for theit page and another name for their profile which they might use for posting in groups. I have new been able to keep up with all the names, I just try to remember the dance names and that's it.

Same, and I don't understand why people do, unless they are an author of a book and publish under their legal name, or something else where it is useful for them. But otherwise, why would people?
    Some authors DO use a nom de plume. I have a Facebook friend who's author name is a play-on of the words "writer" and "wrong." I'm sure she'll be targeted by Facebook sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use my real name on line but type that sucker into the server and it comes up all over the darn place because of various activities I am involved in. Internet is definitely a "need not be present to have your anonymity blown" environment. For years I did internet traces of people who were avoiding litigation. It was an amazingly simple process yet people were stunned to be tracked down. It's all there for anyone willing to look. Frickin' scary.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Privacy aside, the groups thing is a good point. I can just about handle the idea of a little crossover between my online dance-related discussions and my real life dance existence, but I don't want it crossing into non-dance friends and family. I don't want to be forced to mix it all up.

I don't like FB for dance-related discussions anyway. Topics are raised, loads of people chuck in their 2 cents, maybe a little debate between a couple of people, and then it's the equivalent of yesterday's newspaper; on to the next thing.

I get why they want real identities to trace trolls and people who post vile stuff (and "coincidentally omg how did that happen lol what are we like?" getting real identities all the better to track you and throw advertising down your throat thereby rendering the internet super annoying and making reading a book or going for a walk or for a coffee with a real person or even cleaning the bathroom strangely attractive) but how many harmless drag queens, dancers, SCA reenactors etc etc get tarred with the same brush? Suckage. All people who want the internet to be all about selling you crap you don't need or want can go boil their collective heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    ]

I got a FB profile under duress and it was originally extremely bland and really only existed as a way for people to track me down who might want to track me down. It came into its own during the quakes. It's a useful way to keep up with friends overseas and in other cities as well as dance contacts, workmates etc. One can use it as much or as little as one wishes. I work weird hours and at my age it's not that easy to get together with people just randomly like when we were all kids. I do find it useful.

To be fair, we pay not a cent for it. It's not a charity. And we have the option not to use it. I think boards are better for discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Privacy aside, the groups thing is a good point. I can just about handle the idea of a little crossover between my online dance-related discussions and my real life dance existence, but I don't want it crossing into non-dance friends and family. I don't want to be forced to mix it all up.
    Exactly that! I keep those strictly separated, plus my friends don't want to have their feed plastered with belly dance stuff I guess. And I like the privacy of it keeping it all separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumarrad View Post
    I got a FB profile under duress and it was originally extremely bland and really only existed as a way for people to track me down who might want to track me down. It came into its own during the quakes. It's a useful way to keep up with friends overseas and in other cities as well as dance contacts, workmates etc. One can use it as much or as little as one wishes. I work weird hours and at my age it's not that easy to get together with people just randomly like when we were all kids. I do find it useful.

To be fair, we pay not a cent for it. It's not a charity. And we have the option not to use it. I think boards are better for discussion.
    I think it's very handy! I have moved so often that I have friends all over the world. It would be hard to keep contact without FB, especially with acquaintances who you don't email every week. Plus I have lots of mutual friends, I like that people can see each other's comments and talk in threads on people's walls. Same thing with the belly dance world. I don't mind they advertise on FB, I find it very amusing the things they try to advertise to me, it's always a completely wrong guess, so it doesn't work haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Facebook is turning out to be an ogre, many are advising me there are other places more honest than FB but FB has a name for itself and so many are too lazy to seek truth and honesty. The future as regards FB stabds to be harsher than it is now for they have got away with so much already for people are easily led.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123