Facebook is forcing a "real names" policy on entertainers

Darshiva

"bu bu but we can't datamine & sell your personal details to the highest bidder if you don't give us your full name and all your contact details!"

Just waiting for the moment when they require your credit card details and medicare/social security/etc number. It's coming.

Amulya

]
I think the goal ultimately is to have performers use fan pages,

which would still mean people would have to interact with their real names on FB, if they like to get updates from other dancer's pages, they need a profile to like those pages. And it would get so confusing, one name for theit page and another name for their profile which they might use for posting in groups. I have new been able to keep up with all the names, I just try to remember the dance names and that's it.

I'm well known for my virulent dislike of facesuck - and this is the NUMBER ONE reason. I. DO. NOT. USE. MY. LEGAL. NAME. ON. THE. INTERNET. PERIOD.

Same, and I don't understand why people do, unless they are an author of a book and publish under their legal name, or something else where it is useful for them. But otherwise, why would people?

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

]

which would still mean people would have to interact with their real names on FB, if they like to get updates from other dancer's pages, they need a profile to like those pages. And it would get so confusing, one name for theit page and another name for their profile which they might use for posting in groups. I have new been able to keep up with all the names, I just try to remember the dance names and that's it.

Same, and I don't understand why people do, unless they are an author of a book and publish under their legal name, or something else where it is useful for them. But otherwise, why would people?

Some authors DO use a nom de plume. I have a Facebook friend who's author name is a play-on of the words "writer" and "wrong." I'm sure she'll be targeted by Facebook sooner or later. :(

Shanazel

I don't use my real name on line but type that sucker into the server and it comes up all over the darn place because of various activities I am involved in. Internet is definitely a "need not be present to have your anonymity blown" environment. For years I did internet traces of people who were avoiding litigation. It was an amazingly simple process yet people were stunned to be tracked down. It's all there for anyone willing to look. Frickin' scary.

Aniseteph

Privacy aside, the groups thing is a good point. I can just about handle the idea of a little crossover between my online dance-related discussions and my real life dance existence, but I don't want it crossing into non-dance friends and family. I don't want to be forced to mix it all up.

I don't like FB for dance-related discussions anyway. Topics are raised, loads of people chuck in their 2 cents, maybe a little debate between a couple of people, and then it's the equivalent of yesterday's newspaper; on to the next thing.

I get why they want real identities to trace trolls and people who post vile stuff (and "coincidentally omg how did that happen lol what are we like?" getting real identities all the better to track you and throw advertising down your throat thereby rendering the internet super annoying and making reading a book or going for a walk or for a coffee with a real person or even cleaning the bathroom strangely attractive) but how many harmless drag queens, dancers, SCA reenactors etc etc get tarred with the same brush? Suckage. All people who want the internet to be all about selling you crap you don't need or want can go boil their collective heads.

Zumarrad

]

I got a FB profile under duress and it was originally extremely bland and really only existed as a way for people to track me down who might want to track me down. It came into its own during the quakes. It's a useful way to keep up with friends overseas and in other cities as well as dance contacts, workmates etc. One can use it as much or as little as one wishes. I work weird hours and at my age it's not that easy to get together with people just randomly like when we were all kids. I do find it useful.

To be fair, we pay not a cent for it. It's not a charity. And we have the option not to use it. I think boards are better for discussion.

Amulya

Privacy aside, the groups thing is a good point. I can just about handle the idea of a little crossover between my online dance-related discussions and my real life dance existence, but I don't want it crossing into non-dance friends and family. I don't want to be forced to mix it all up.

Exactly that! I keep those strictly separated, plus my friends don't want to have their feed plastered with belly dance stuff I guess. And I like the privacy of it keeping it all separate.

I got a FB profile under duress and it was originally extremely bland and really only existed as a way for people to track me down who might want to track me down. It came into its own during the quakes. It's a useful way to keep up with friends overseas and in other cities as well as dance contacts, workmates etc. One can use it as much or as little as one wishes. I work weird hours and at my age it's not that easy to get together with people just randomly like when we were all kids. I do find it useful.

To be fair, we pay not a cent for it. It's not a charity. And we have the option not to use it. I think boards are better for discussion.

I think it's very handy! I have moved so often that I have friends all over the world. It would be hard to keep contact without FB, especially with acquaintances who you don't email every week. Plus I have lots of mutual friends, I like that people can see each other's comments and talk in threads on people's walls. Same thing with the belly dance world. I don't mind they advertise on FB, I find it very amusing the things they try to advertise to me, it's always a completely wrong guess, so it doesn't work haha.

Last edited:

Tanglefoot

Facebook is turning out to be an ogre, many are advising me there are other places more honest than FB but FB has a name for itself and so many are too lazy to seek truth and honesty. The future as regards FB stabds to be harsher than it is now for they have got away with so much already for people are easily led.

Greek Bonfire

So far, I've dodged using my name for many years. But it's a little harder to figure out. I don't see where they have the right to insist on this.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't see where they have the right to insist on this.
Their site, their rules. Their "real name" policy is one of the largest, but hardly the only, reason I stay off of that site and others like it.
I. do. not. use. my real name. on the Internet. Period. The End.

Shanazel

Challenge authority.

Defy the rules.

Resistors gu braith.

My job requires me to keep up the museum facebook page.

Facebook requires me to have a personal page in order to do my job.

What I call myself is my business.

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Good for you. The people I trust to know more about this kind of thing than I do say that if you just MUST be on such sites for whatever reason, "LIE"!

Greek Bonfire

Mark Zuckerberg is in a lot of trouble overall. Maybe when he finally gets thrown out, there won't be this silly stuff. They also ask your age, including the year, so I gave them 1915. Take that!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'm waiting for the inevitable crash and burn. I've seen TONS of fad sites like face***k come and go over the years, but never one as evil. Nor one with as many apologists on its behalf.

dancefever

Absolutely hate this policy. Honestly I would rather just create a website on a website builder like hPage.com and have my portfolio and work stated there rather than have my private details out there for other people to take advantage of. At least with a website, I can have more bookings and I can control what I want to be put there without anyone forcing me what to say.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Absolutely hate this policy. Honestly I would rather just create a website on a website builder like hPage.com and have my portfolio and work stated there rather than have my private details out there for other people to take advantage of. At least with a website, I can have more bookings and I can control what I want to be put there without anyone forcing me what to say.

Having your own website is a mark of professionalism.

Depending on sites like face***k, is amateurish at best.

Good on you!

Rule #1: Never, EVER, use your legal name on the Internet. NEVER.

Amulya

Having your own website is a mark of professionalism.

Depending on sites like face***k, is amateurish at best.

Good on you!

Rule #1: Never, EVER, use your legal name on the Internet. NEVER.

Can’t agree more! I’m so glad I never used my real name, I’m un-google-ble and I think that’s great. Yet a lot of people go on LinkedIn with their real names, and maybe it’s useful for some sectors of work, just wouldn’t like to be on it. Also some companies put their employees on their websites with names. But sometimes it’s unavoidable. However it’s a bit different for belly dancers, it’s more risky to be out there with your real name. Lots of tribal fusion dancers do it though.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Also some companies put their employees on their websites with names.
My last employer was like this - but I opted out.
The ancient practice of telling everyone your "use" name, and only telling those you truly trust your "real" name has come full circle. Your "real" name has power over you.