Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Facebook is forcing a "real names" policy on entertainers

Facebook is starting to enforce a "real names" policy. They are targeting performers whose profiles were opened under stage names and trying to force them to change their names to their legal names.

Here's a story about what they're doing to the drag queen community:

http://www.queerty.com/facebook-targ...names-20140911

Here's a petition people are signing to demand they abandon this action:

http://www.change.org/p/facebook-all...ebook-accounts

Ironically, Google has been trying for a couple of years to enforce a similar policy, and a couple of months ago they finally announced that they have abandoned it:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...me_policy.html

Post Thanks / Like

At least one belly dancer has reported in a Facebook group that she was targeted with this policy. So, even though YOU may have been using Facebook for years without a problem, be aware that enforcement HAS begun, and belly dancers ARE among the groups being targeted. Lack of problem in the past does NOT mean you're safe from the current action.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Luna of Cairo was tageted earlier this year.

I don't like this policy as it enables stalkers, etc. It's creepy and very very wrong.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

How would they enforce that? Like ask people to show ID? I don't think many people are on FB with their full real name, it's not a very smart thing to do. So they would loose a lot of people if they would make it mandatory with ID. With Google + it is still possible to use a fake name, as long as you create a fake family name that they accept.

Post Thanks / Like

When I took over the Facebook page for the museum, I first had to have a page of my own. I don't like FB, didn't want a page in my name, so made up an e-mail and name for the lynx in the museum. FB wouldn't let me use initials- stated the legal name was necessary. Fine. I gave her three names and FB was happy.

My husband wants to start a site called In Your Facebook, an antisocial network.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Amulya, yes, they actually HAVE asked some people to show ID. The person who started the thread in the Facebook group said they demanded that she provide a photocopy of her driver's license to prove that the name on her account was her true legal name. According to what she said, Facebook locked her out of her account until she changed her name AND proved it was her legal name.

A lot of belly dancers on Facebook use "Dancer" or "Bellydance" or a similar variation as their Facebook surname. It would be a simple matter for Facebook to notice them and target them. Or, maybe they use something like "Princess" as their first name.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not changing my name. Actually, this issue reminded me to go renew my domain name, which was going to expire in a few days, so lucky me it was on my mind or I'd have had to have started all over again!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    How would they enforce that?
    The thing is they have right in their sign up agreement that you have to solemnly promise that you are using your real name when you sign up so if you don't and you check the box I'm not sure you actually have a legal leg to stand on. This is actually why I'm not on Facebook. I refuse to lie and I refuse to put my real name online. If they can be forced to change that policy I'm there but until then...

Glad I don't need it for business.

I wonder whether if you have a legal alias you can get an affidavit from the bank to make them shut up?

Post Thanks / Like

No, that doesn't work. Plenty have tried it.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's really annoying...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast