Too Skinny for belly dance? honest question ><

Amulya

Re long legs, I really had to get used to the different look that long legs give in a belly dance costume compared to shorter legged dancers. It looked like my body was way too short (my legs are about twice the lenght of my body) I guess it was because none of the other dancers had long legs so I had some sort of default look of a body in a costume in my head and mine didn't look like that and it seemed weird. Once I saw other peopled ding who were similar it was not so strange anymore to me. But it's still rare to see a dancers with long legs. I haven't encountered problems in dancing technique itself from having long legs. My problems are more from hypermobility, it makes it easier to learn belly dance, but at the other hand it's also easier to injure and some nice crisp movements aren't possible.

Sophia Maria

Love those costumes!!! Do you have any other pictures of the Saïdi one? That one looks cool.

I don't know that I have especially long legs in terms of my overall proportions. I certainly understand, though, about costumes not looking "right" on me, when I felt they looked great on other people. (Especially the dreaded empty space between chest and bra...) ....it's honestly the reason I got into sewing. I figure eventually I'll just make my own stuff and not worry about not feeling right in things :( Also, when in doubt, I Fifi it up with a handy-dandy gallebeya. One size fits all, and your hip movements look much bigger in a gallebeya and scarf, imho.

Roshanna

Roshanna

Re long legs, I really had to get used to the different look that long legs give in a belly dance costume compared to shorter legged dancers. It looked like my body was way too short (my legs are about twice the lenght of my body) I guess it was because none of the other dancers had long legs so I had some sort of default look of a body in a costume in my head and mine didn't look like that and it seemed weird.

Getting the boobs (booblets? :D) lifted up high by a supportive bra with short enough straps helps to make the body look nice and long, of course :)
Though as a tall dancer, I actually often do things to make my torso look shorter (well, not so much shorter, as less like an empty expanse of space), like wearing costumes with a waist strap or belly drape, or a belly chain. I create the space by lifting up my booblets, then fill it with sparkly things ;)

The worst thing for long legged dancers, costume-wise, is ending up in not-quite-long-enough circle skirts that make you look like a lampshade. I've given up completely on circle skirts for now because the off-the-peg ones are all too short, and custom ones from L Rose etc don't have the fluffy wired hem that the off the peg ones have.

gisela

Super Moderator
Rasha, I feel you on the circle skirt issue. I have managed to make it work by sewing an extra piece of fabric at the waistband of a circle skirt. I removed the elastic, made a tube of lycra in matching colour, sewed it to the waist of the skirt, and put the elastic in the top of the tube. That way I got a skirt long enough, and it didn't make me look like a lampshade as it was fitted around my bum. Much better look for me.

Sophia Maria

Thanks :D there is a whole set of photos of the Saiidi dress here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.595279360510899.1073741831.186861118019394&type=3
I think it was made by Madame Noussa (there are no labels, but the vendor I bought it from mainly stocks Madame Noussa costumes, and the beading style seems like one of hers).

Madame Noussa...is there a website? It's been a long time since I sat on the internet and stared longingly at costumes, lol! (Perhaps that's a good thing)

Selene

So many replies and didnt even get notifications T.T

Ohhhh more about the long legs, I wanna see the pictures! But will do that and reply tomorrow, it is too late, im sleepy xd :confused::shok: