Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be weird. I prefer action shots over posed ones. For some reason I get all ungainly & unnatural when doing poses, but in motion I look great in photos. Must be the photographers I've worked with. All of them to date are experienced with motion.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    I must be weird. I prefer action shots over posed ones. For some reason I get all ungainly & unnatural when doing poses, but in motion I look great in photos. Must be the photographers I've worked with. All of them to date are experienced with motion.
    After taking several thousand actions shots at local shows (for the fun of it) I've observed that some dancers really make it easy for the photographer when they are in motion, as the photographer easily can predict when to hit the button and get a good result (some even pose during the dance for photos, which of course is very nice because they know the photographers will use these seconds to shoot - I learnt this from Aziza, btw).
    Then I've experienced some very few dancers that are much more difficult to predict. If both the dancer and photographer are good and the photographer "decipher" the dancers movement pattern, the shots can be really interesting. If not, you only get bad or boring shots.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Pro photographers that specialize in portraits/modeling should be well versed in digital editing. You want someone who doesn't over edit you- you still need to look like you. Just get rid of unwanted shadows, fly away bits of hair, pimples, and such. Getting a ton of shots that you can pick through before editing is a good idea. Body positioning can make you look great!

Post Thanks / Like

May I say....why not PS it???I can do that...I am professional
    Because I have been selling belly dance costumes for over 6 years,and I took tons of photos,and PS them...
    So I don't think photos can bring any trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    That's IT!!! Thank you, Amulya!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    After taking several thousand actions shots at local shows (for the fun of it) I've observed that some dancers really make it easy for the photographer when they are in motion, as the photographer easily can predict when to hit the button and get a good result (some even pose during the dance for photos, which of course is very nice because they know the photographers will use these seconds to shoot - I learnt this from Aziza, btw).
    Then I've experienced some very few dancers that are much more difficult to predict. If both the dancer and photographer are good and the photographer "decipher" the dancers movement pattern, the shots can be really interesting. If not, you only get bad or boring shots.

Huh, I must be one of those people. I have all sorts of little tells that I'm about to go into some amazing spins (with wings or veil) and I will usually mug for the audience (ie: if I'm getting attention from what I'm doing I'm bound to repeat it). I guess that must make me easier to photograph in motion.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    (some even pose during the dance for photos, which of course is very nice because they know the photographers will use these seconds to shoot - I learnt this from Aziza, btw).
    I was once performing at a big-stage festival. At the end of the show the photographer approaches me and says that it has been very difficult for him to take photos of me, because I'm rather tall, but he spends most of the time very close to the stage. So we made an agreement that if I dance on that stage again, and he will be the photographer, I will make a slow section of a dance in a predesignated spot where he can catch me on camera properly!

Post Thanks / Like

The best dance photos ever taken of me are by a dance friend's husband, who is a photographer, and he said he invariably deletes the pix before and after the good ones because they are the bad shots. He really does have a knack for it, possibly in part fuelled by photographing his wife and her fellow dancers a lot.

It's no real consolation when it comes to having fugly photos of yourself, but I have seen extremely mediocre performances that have produced stunning shots. So at least you can know that just because Dancer X has a beautiful photo of herself doing Isis wings or whatever, it doesn't follow that she was necessarily all that good at handling them. Often quite boring dance makes for the best photos, though of course there are dancers of stunning ability who never seem to take a bad shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand about the self-esteem issue and how it can distort how you see pictures. While I'm overcome my self-esteem and body issues thanks to bellydance, I've lost 50+ lbs and I still catch myself with having a skewed view of my current body being still as fat as my old one; especially when it comes to pictures but that is usually a bad angle. In all honesty (and personal experience) it might not have been the photographer but we can't see the pictures to tell if they are truly bad shots. All we can go on is what you have told us, skewed view or not.

However I also know how my brain has played tricks on me and it is amazing how it actually works. As part of my own treatment, I was tested and they had me look at the same photo of me two different times. The first time I was just left to be me and be super critical about it. The second time my mood was a lot better and they didn't let me start down the critical picking road and you know what I saw the picture differently. I actually saw myself looking good in it rather than fat. It is amazing what your mood and mind set can do to change how you see and feel about a photo. I also think that you might want to go see counseling if your self-esteem issues are this bad that pictures will make you feel horrible.

Now you also said you took pictures with your friend. How much of a true comparison is this? Were these pictures of you in your regular clothing with friends or were you in your dance gear? In the same costume? what was your mood while taking those pictures vs the professional ones? Regular clothing and bellydance costuming will take different pictures. I get super muffin top going on when I wear my skirts that I don't have in my normal clothing. I know my stomach since it is showing will also look more pronounced then it will in my regular clothing. If someone does not know what the differences their costuming will cause to their body shape then they can be shocked when they see it in pictures.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with most people. You dance for the audience and it's not about posing for the camera then. And the photographer needs experience to catch the good-looking positions while dancing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast