Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colour codes??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colour codes??

Are there any colour codes in dancing? I'm talking cultural, rather than cosmetics. Are there certain colours to avoid entirely when dancing certain styles? Is yellow avoided in classical? Is red the best for khaleegy? ( - these are made up examples; not something I've heard or read). Are there any Middle Eastern cultural nuances regarding colour, that most bellydancers don't know about?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question Duvet. I've never heard of any personally, but maybe there are & I've never come across them. Have you heard of some?
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

When I started dancing I was warned against wearing green. Me being me, I promptly made my first costume in forest green and silver. Over the years I've heard that green on stage is bad luck / makes one's skin look sickly under spotlights / an invitation to being stolen by faeries, especially if worn with a red hat. I don't recall the original reason I was given.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I love forest green! I have a forest green Turkish dress that I adore (it was Andalee's). If fairies try to get me, I'll just remind them that I'm a Hobbit! xD

Post Thanks / Like

I think it might be fun to run off with the faeries!

Yea, I've heard various things about green costumes too. Its also considered bad luck to have a green race car - which is probably why the Brits never really excelled at that sport with their beautiful "British Racing Green"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zorba-green.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	10267  

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, baby, do you look cool in that costume!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. I think he looks beautiful!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Green came up on a thread Tanglefoot started recently, something about being a holy colour in Islam so not a good choice. I'd never heard of that nono before, and why anyone would expect a belly dancer to respect religious sensibilities colour-wise when the rest of the costume and the dancing itself is beyond the pale is beyond me. I wonder if this is another of those grain of truth "rules" that can get applied out of context to confusing effect.

When I went googling for the green thing I found stuff about red being a women's colour so men shouldn't wear it. Again, not quite sure how relevant that is to male belly dancers IRL.

I like green. One green skirt, and another skirt and a dress in the recycling project stash, so there.

Post Thanks / Like

Superstitions vary from culture to culture and from person to person. Me, I won't open the novel Anna Karenina. Every time I've started to read it, I've had to move either across town or halfway across the country. I don't touch the darn thing and I don't care what color the dust cover is.

Post Thanks / Like

The green in that thread was about male dancers and certain costumes, not about regular belly dance costumes though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast