Shimmying for every occasion!

Sophia Maria

The day before yesterday I was in the middle of practicing, when I realized I had clothes in the machine that needed to be hung! I didn't want to stop dancing completely, so I decided to shimmy the whole time I was hanging up laundry--and I would highly recommend it. I have a drying rack, and put all my wet clothes in a basket in front of me so I didn't have to walk around too much. I found that it is a really good drill because you're so focused on hanging up laundry while listening to fun music, that you don't realize you're practicing bending over and then straightening back up while shimmying, many many times in a row! :dance::dance:

What other everyday shimmy drills have others come up with?

Duvet

Great idea Sophia Maria.

Waiting for the kettle to boil is a regular opportunity. And you get to sit down with a hot drink afterwards!

I used to work as a fry cook. no one hardly ever saw me from the chest down. This made hip isolations a blast because only I knew what was going on("Why are you smiling?" they would ask. "Oh, no reason..." i would respond). When I worked in retail I would select specific combinations to practice in my free time when no one was watching (there were those hilarious times when i'd be dancing and turn around to find an audience but it was always in good fun and I kept a sense of humor about their reactions.) !DISCLAIMER! I always got my work done first then I practiced. This is what kept me out of trouble for doing this stuff on the clock. Never goof off when you have work to do. It also helped that I had an open minded boss, but if she had ever asked me to stop I would have without objection. ~just thought I'd throw that out there~

Jeanne

I always throw in a few practice drills while I'm brushing my teeth. An easy way to make sure you get at least a little practice in every day :)

Safran

Khaled Mahmoud said once that he always shimmies while ironing :)

I am currently working in India, and you can imagine the distances here... So when we spend hours in cars and planes to get to the shows, I do abdominal and glute contractions to use the time....

Sophia Maria

Khaled Mahmoud said once that he always shimmies while ironing :)

Sounds dangerous! Sometimes I shimmy so much that I forget when I'm doing it...I was embroidering once and realized I was shimmying when I accidentally stabbed my finger :shok::shok:

Jeanne said:
I always throw in a few practice drills while I'm brushing my teeth

Yup!! Brushing your teeth is a perfect time. It makes for one heck of a brainteaser too.

atisheh

I LOVE the idea of shimmying while hanging laundry! Why didn't I think of that? I have a toddler, and I've moved to Germany. What does this mean? It means I have to do at least a load of laundry a day, BUT I have no dryer, so it all gets air dried. That's a lot of laundry hanging. Why haven't I been shimming this whole time?

These past few years I did a lot of photocopying at various libraries. I would put my iPod in my pocket and shimmy or dance around while I did that, esp if I was alone in the copy room. It makes photocopying much less boring. The other thing I did -- actually, even if other people were around -- were very simple ballet exercises, like plies, going on releve, etc.