Costumes for baladi progression

yulka

Hi,

I'd like to know, which costume types are proper for baladi progression. I'm sure that galabeya is OK.
I'm watching Ranya Renee Baladi DVD and I'm confused, because she is wearing 2 pieces costume (like for raqs sharqi).
So the raqs sharqi costume can be also used for baladi progression?
Also I saw fee times dancer wearing dresses (not galabeya, but something like these dresses: https://www.bellydancestore.biz/gallery.php?catId=35 ). Is it OK?

Shanazel

I like to see baladi done in folkloric costume, not two piece bedlah and not evening gown style, either.

Safran

For me it depends on what kind of music you use/what kind of feeling you want to give with your performance. A two-piece costume is ok if your baladi is part of a performance set (meaning, you dance several dances in one go). If you will only perform a baladi, then you can choose between a more traditional galabeya, a glammed galabeya and a dress. I actually think the dress is a good idea if you are still in the beginning of your dance journey, as you can use it for more performances than just baladi.

Afrit

A progression is usually not that folky so I would usually go for a fitted dress rather than a loose galabeya. Unless it is within an oriental routine do NOT wear a two piece. Totally inappropriate.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I dont' know that much about Egyptian Bellydance but my Baladi dress is a one piece folkloric style.