Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am teasing you, dear. There are dreadful examples for every style. My original teachers (circa the mid-seventies) spent what I used to think was an undue amount of time emphasizing small movements and subtlety so I had to laugh at your comments.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I've neve done a Turkish Drop or The Dreaded Flop-Over, but I HAVE done an American Plummet-To-The-Floor once or twice during home practice! >.>;;

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooo, and how about those wonderful impromptu plummets produced when one accidentally steps on a trailing veil and lands on the floor without quite intending to do floor work in a particular performance?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

ILU, Shan!

Post Thanks / Like

can someone post a liink to a video with the flop over?I'm having a hard time picturing it. I remember when I'd slowly lower on to my knees and super slowly back bend my way untill i was laying down. I'd do arm movements and chest moves and hips and then with my arms, swoop my way back up

Post Thanks / Like

No video - but picture this. Music builds to a crescendo with the dancer doing fast and furious. Single accent and silence then next track something like a ney taqsim. On the accent the dancer folds in half with her hair pooling around her feet. As the taqsim starts she slowly unfolds and starts a stndng taqsim.

I live in Pennsylvania and attend Strath Haven High.
    Post Thanks / Like

When Middle Eastern dance came to America in the late 1800s, it was very very sensationalized. We had this whole trope about scandalous crazy bellydancers going to parties and sleeping with the guests etcetera. It receded into the burlesque scene for a while (before this Burlesque didn't involve much in the way of bumps and grinds, mostly kicks), and then when it came back it was very much an issue of performance and storytelling. The dancers of the seventies were more evoking a fantasy of the Middle East than anything else. This led to a lot of very showy movements that require intense technique.
    Egyptian bellydance comes from mostly folk dance, but also takes heavily from jazz and ballroom due the Badia Masabni hiring western instructors for the dancers of her clubs. Due to the heavy Western influence, Egyptian bellydance is not quite solid folk dance and does have an element of showiness to it, but nonetheless it is much more relaxed and heavily rooted in folk.
    So I do think that most forms of AmCab are going to be a little bit harder on the body than Egyptian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    No video - but picture this. Music builds to a crescendo with the dancer doing fast and furious. Single accent and silence then next track something like a ney taqsim. On the accent the dancer folds in half with her hair pooling around her feet. As the taqsim starts she slowly unfolds and starts a stndng taqsim.
    Ok, thanx for the clarification - I've seen this and done it once or twice. Its best of you work with your hair so it flies forward and down as you do it. Problem I had was keeping my necklace from rebounding and hitting me in the teeth. Better check your earrings ahead of time too!

I've only seen the Turkish Drop a few times - and of those times, I'd say I've only seen it done well exactly once. It is spectacular when its done right - but its ended the career of more than one dancer. One of my teachers was carried offstage on a stretcher after a 'Drop gone wrong years back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Ooooo, and how about those wonderful impromptu plummets produced when one accidentally steps on a trailing veil and lands on the floor without quite intending to do floor work in a particular performance?
    Uh, yea. That's part of my veil workshop - impromptu drops - Turkish or otherwise, aren't pretty and most Belly Dance authorities consider them poor form!

Another tip is to NEVER do cane or other Sa'idi style dancing/movements - particularly those cutesy "flip back with the foot" moves when one is wearing a string or fringe skirt. The long fringe loves to tangle around one's toes - ask me how I know this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Uh, yea. That's part of my veil workshop - impromptu drops - Turkish or otherwise, aren't pretty and most Belly Dance authorities consider them poor form!

Another tip is to NEVER do cane or other Sa'idi style dancing/movements - particularly those cutesy "flip back with the foot" moves when one is wearing a string or fringe skirt. The long fringe loves to tangle around one's toes - ask me how I know this...
    How do you know this, Zorba?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast