Anyone use fire?

Dani

I love fire as much as belly dancing, and I know that the two are combined pretty often. I have a pair of fire fans, palm torches, a fire scimitar, and a fire cane. If anyone out there uses fire with their dance, I'd love to hear some tricks or advice that you might have.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Have a fire extinguisher on hand and a designated safety person at all times.

I have a 7lb ABC extinguisher in a neat Moroccan looking chest that can sit right up on stage with me. My wife is usually my safety person, but I've drafted others. Priority: Me, others, then inanimate objects! Whoever the safety person is, they need to be conversant with PROPER extinguisher use.

Never have needed to use it (knock on wood) yet!

Farasha Hanem

I've used a candle tray in a photo shoot, and I have a Shamadan, but other than that, for my styles (Egyptian and AmCab), I don't use any other fire props. Also, as Zorba said, safety first. Also, periodically check to make sure your fire extinguisher is in good working order. :)

Last edited:

Dani

What type of dance do you do? I know a lot of belly dance outfits aren't technically fire safe, but I've also heard of some fire spinners using flame retardant spray. Do you have any advice or experience in that area?

Farasha Hanem

I'm afraid not. After the near-disaster at the photo shoot, I haven't tried fire again (yet), though I'm keen to learn zeffa, which traditionally uses a Shamadan. Like I said, I do Egyptian style (mostly improv, which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE <3 ), and American Oriental (AmCab), which I learned from my previous troupe. I hadn't thought of flame-retardant spray, though that sounds like a good idea. I take it you do Tribal fusion? :D

Dani

Have a fire extinguisher on hand and a designated safety person at all times.

I have a 7lb ABC extinguisher in a neat Moroccan looking chest that can sit right up on stage with me. My wife is usually my safety person, but I've drafted others. Priority: Me, others, then inanimate objects! Whoever the safety person is, they need to be conversant with PROPER extinguisher use.

Never have needed to use it (knock on wood) yet!

What type of dance do you do? I know a lot of belly dance outfits aren't technically fire safe, but I've also heard of some fire spinners using flame retardant spray. Do you have any advice or experience in that area?

Dani

I'm afraid not. After the near-disaster at the photo shoot, I haven't tried fire again (yet), though I'm keen to learn zeffa, which traditionally uses a Shamadan. Like I said, I do Egyptian style (mostly improv, which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE <3 ), and American Oriental (AmCab), which I learned from my previous troupe. I hadn't thought of flame-retardant spray, though that sounds like a good idea. I take it you do Tribal fusion? :D

Actually, I love Egyptian style, but I have seen a few tribal fusion performances that I'm trying to learn from. I'd like to try at least one full routine in as many different styles as possible, just to learn where my strengths are and which one is my favorite. Tribal fusion does work better with fire, but a lot of those performers call it belly dance when they only do an occasional hip shake or maybe an undulation or two, so I'd have to make sure that I can work the flame AND the dance properly.

If you feel like trying fire again, palm torches are a really easy prop for belly dance. Just hold your hands a safe enough distance and move them like you would in any performance! I haven't lit mine yet, but I've been practicing and I can't wait to!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
No experience whatsoever with poi or similar disciplines. My fire experience is limited to Shemadan with "real" candles - and you see how careful I am with even that! I used to have a boss who was a volunteer fireman - he kinda rubbed off on me!

The only advice I can offer in general is to ALWAYS be aware of your flames and what they're near. In the case of a Shemadan, I had to always be aware of what was overhead, one venue had a ceiling draped with chiffon, another I had to go bent kneed under a draped power cord. I was also cognizant of my hair with its hairspray. What would happen if I lost a candle and it rolled across the stage to the curtain? Etc., etc., etc.

Oh yea, Shemadan and an overhead fire sprinkler could be interesting...

My fire safety person had to be cognizant of these things as well.

Last edited:

Dani

No experience whatsoever with poi or similar disciplines. My fire experience is limited to Shemadan with "real" candles - and you see how careful I am with even that! I used to have a boss who was a volunteer fireman - he kinda rubbed off on me!

The only advice I can offer in general is to ALWAYS be aware of your flames and what they're near. In the case of a Shemadan, I had to always be aware of what was overhead, one venue had a ceiling draped with chiffon, another I had to go bent kneed under a draped power cord. I was also cognizant of my hair with its hairspray. What would happen if I lost a candle and it rolled across the stage to the curtain? Etc., etc., etc.

Oh yea, Shemadan and an overhead fire sprinkler could be interesting...

My fire safety person had to be cognizant of these things as well.

Yeah, the fire safety always has to be just as aware as you are. I wouldn't mind trying a shemadan, but first I'm trying to work with palm torches. They attach to your hand and you can always control where the flame is, which makes safety much easier. I'm hoping to make a video of it soon, but I've only been belly dancing for 5 months, so I'm not too confident in my routine yet. Soon, though. ^_^

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yeah, the fire safety always has to be just as aware as you are. I wouldn't mind trying a shemadan, but first I'm trying to work with palm torches. They attach to your hand and you can always control where the flame is, which makes safety much easier. I'm hoping to make a video of it soon, but I've only been belly dancing for 5 months, so I'm not too confident in my routine yet. Soon, though. ^_^

Aspirations are a good thing - they keep you learning and striving! You'll get there - if palm torches are what appeal to you and what you feel the most comfortable with, then that's what you should be trying!

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I did accidentally at one time when I was dancing with a veil and 'forgot' momentarily how close the candelabra hanging from the ceiling was above my head. Good thing silk does not catch on fire that quickly :O LOLZ

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
i did accidentally at one time when i was dancing with a veil and 'forgot' momentarily how close the candelabra hanging from the ceiling was above my head. Good thing silk does not catch on fire that quickly :eek: lolz
yikes!

Tarik Sultan

One of my venues has banned the use of any type of ope flame including candles because the fire marshals shut them down. For some reason it seems to be all the rage now, but I think venues need to take things into consideration like safety, do they have extinguishers on hand and is the staff trained to use them, also, how many exists does the venue have.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
One of my venues has banned the use of any type of open flame including candles because the fire marshals shut them down...
That's pretty much the case everywhere - even in places where there's ZERO chance of a fire spreading (concrete stage, no curtains, etc, etc). I'm the first to preach fire safety, and have an extinguisher on hand; but America has been a Nanny State for decades and its getting far worse fast!

Dani

That's pretty much the case everywhere - even in places where there's ZERO chance of a fire spreading (concrete stage, no curtains, etc, etc). I'm the first to preach fire safety, and have an extinguisher on hand; but America has been a Nanny State for decades and its getting far worse fast!

My state (Rhode Island) is the worst for that. The only time I see fire spinners (not belly dancers) is at WaterFire, and even with that, the fire marshals are real dicks. We're all about safety, everyone is a safe distance, and the performers are professionals, but they're just like "you came too close, raaaaawwwr." America is a terrible place for creativity, especially if there's even a remote hint of danger in it. I'm surprised cupcakes aren't a felony.

Dani

Wait. They will be. Witness the various "Big Gulp" bans that have been pushed through in various locales. Remember, Big Brother knows best!

They're also banning potato chips and juice in schools, even if your kid bring it. People are just growing more and more chicken-shit all the time. Life is about balance, and how will you learn to balance if you don't have those options? The worst people are the parents who think white bread will kill their children. Ugh, it's so annoying.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
They're also banning potato chips and juice in schools, even if your kid bring it...
Well, you'll never want for baloney if you look at just about any school...

"In the first place, God created idiots. That was for practice. Then He created school boards." --Mark Twain

...and by extension, school administrations in general. In my over half century on this planet, I've seen very little to belie Twain's quote - and a LOT to validate it!

Dani

"In the first place, God created idiots. That was for practice. Then He created school boards." --Mark Twain

I've seen that quote! I agree, I'm only 22 and I could school a LOT of adults in their mid 60's on adulthood and common sense. I hope I don't end up being like that.
On an unrelated topic, you don't look over half a century old...at least not from the pictures I've seen.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
On an unrelated topic, you don't look over half a century old...at least not from the pictures I've seen.
Bless you!

Its amazing what a little henna in the hair, beard dye, and makeup will do for a guy! :cool: