Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Anyone use fire?

I love fire as much as belly dancing, and I know that the two are combined pretty often. I have a pair of fire fans, palm torches, a fire scimitar, and a fire cane. If anyone out there uses fire with their dance, I'd love to hear some tricks or advice that you might have.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a fire extinguisher on hand and a designated safety person at all times.

I have a 7lb ABC extinguisher in a neat Moroccan looking chest that can sit right up on stage with me. My wife is usually my safety person, but I've drafted others. Priority: Me, others, then inanimate objects! Whoever the safety person is, they need to be conversant with PROPER extinguisher use.

Never have needed to use it (knock on wood) yet!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a candle tray in a photo shoot, and I have a Shamadan, but other than that, for my styles (Egyptian and AmCab), I don't use any other fire props. Also, as Zorba said, safety first. Also, periodically check to make sure your fire extinguisher is in good working order.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 04-09-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of dance do you do? I know a lot of belly dance outfits aren't technically fire safe, but I've also heard of some fire spinners using flame retardant spray. Do you have any advice or experience in that area?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid not. After the near-disaster at the photo shoot, I haven't tried fire again (yet), though I'm keen to learn zeffa, which traditionally uses a Shamadan. Like I said, I do Egyptian style (mostly improv, which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE <3 ), and American Oriental (AmCab), which I learned from my previous troupe. I hadn't thought of flame-retardant spray, though that sounds like a good idea. I take it you do Tribal fusion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Have a fire extinguisher on hand and a designated safety person at all times.

I have a 7lb ABC extinguisher in a neat Moroccan looking chest that can sit right up on stage with me. My wife is usually my safety person, but I've drafted others. Priority: Me, others, then inanimate objects! Whoever the safety person is, they need to be conversant with PROPER extinguisher use.

Never have needed to use it (knock on wood) yet!
    What type of dance do you do? I know a lot of belly dance outfits aren't technically fire safe, but I've also heard of some fire spinners using flame retardant spray. Do you have any advice or experience in that area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I'm afraid not. After the near-disaster at the photo shoot, I haven't tried fire again (yet), though I'm keen to learn zeffa, which traditionally uses a Shamadan. Like I said, I do Egyptian style (mostly improv, which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE <3 ), and American Oriental (AmCab), which I learned from my previous troupe. I hadn't thought of flame-retardant spray, though that sounds like a good idea. I take it you do Tribal fusion?
    Actually, I love Egyptian style, but I have seen a few tribal fusion performances that I'm trying to learn from. I'd like to try at least one full routine in as many different styles as possible, just to learn where my strengths are and which one is my favorite. Tribal fusion does work better with fire, but a lot of those performers call it belly dance when they only do an occasional hip shake or maybe an undulation or two, so I'd have to make sure that I can work the flame AND the dance properly.

If you feel like trying fire again, palm torches are a really easy prop for belly dance. Just hold your hands a safe enough distance and move them like you would in any performance! I haven't lit mine yet, but I've been practicing and I can't wait to!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    No experience whatsoever with poi or similar disciplines. My fire experience is limited to Shemadan with "real" candles - and you see how careful I am with even that! I used to have a boss who was a volunteer fireman - he kinda rubbed off on me!

The only advice I can offer in general is to ALWAYS be aware of your flames and what they're near. In the case of a Shemadan, I had to always be aware of what was overhead, one venue had a ceiling draped with chiffon, another I had to go bent kneed under a draped power cord. I was also cognizant of my hair with its hairspray. What would happen if I lost a candle and it rolled across the stage to the curtain? Etc., etc., etc.

Oh yea, Shemadan and an overhead fire sprinkler could be interesting...

My fire safety person had to be cognizant of these things as well.
    Last edited by Zorba; 04-11-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    No experience whatsoever with poi or similar disciplines. My fire experience is limited to Shemadan with "real" candles - and you see how careful I am with even that! I used to have a boss who was a volunteer fireman - he kinda rubbed off on me!

The only advice I can offer in general is to ALWAYS be aware of your flames and what they're near. In the case of a Shemadan, I had to always be aware of what was overhead, one venue had a ceiling draped with chiffon, another I had to go bent kneed under a draped power cord. I was also cognizant of my hair with its hairspray. What would happen if I lost a candle and it rolled across the stage to the curtain? Etc., etc., etc.

Oh yea, Shemadan and an overhead fire sprinkler could be interesting...

My fire safety person had to be cognizant of these things as well.
    Yeah, the fire safety always has to be just as aware as you are. I wouldn't mind trying a shemadan, but first I'm trying to work with palm torches. They attach to your hand and you can always control where the flame is, which makes safety much easier. I'm hoping to make a video of it soon, but I've only been belly dancing for 5 months, so I'm not too confident in my routine yet. Soon, though. ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Yeah, the fire safety always has to be just as aware as you are. I wouldn't mind trying a shemadan, but first I'm trying to work with palm torches. They attach to your hand and you can always control where the flame is, which makes safety much easier. I'm hoping to make a video of it soon, but I've only been belly dancing for 5 months, so I'm not too confident in my routine yet. Soon, though. ^_^
    Aspirations are a good thing - they keep you learning and striving! You'll get there - if palm torches are what appeal to you and what you feel the most comfortable with, then that's what you should be trying!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast