super tight hips

Ahava_Melantha

I know I have chronically tight hamstrings, which I'm working on right now.

But now I have super tight hips muscles, on the front of the hips and the side.

any ideas on how to alleviate this? they are sooo tight and stubborn. it seems like nothing can get them to loosen up.

and fyi - I can NOT afford a full body massage at this time.

Farasha Hanem

:/ I'm no expert, but are you doing anything repetitive (either in practice or everyday life, such as physical labor) that might be causing or aggravating your problem?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Try being a male! It took me several years to get my hips to loosen up enough to do certain movements - just keep trying, you'll get there eventually! Yoga can help quite a bit too.

Darshiva

Also, do not discount the possibility that you are just built that way. Befor engaging in any activities to open or stretch the hips, please see a doctor to make sure you won't actively harm yourself by doing so. Dislocated hips are hella painful.

Ahava_Melantha

well when I had knee surgery they told me my hips might compensate and get kinda tight. And for months before that, I couldn't exercise and was in the chair a lot. I sit in a chair a lot anyways.

And also I don't think tight painful hips is normal for anyone. and yes I'm doing yoga more which is helping me a lot.

Kashmir

You can stretch the hip flexor (running on the front) this way - if you have reasonable knees (you can kneel on cushion). After a cv warm-up (of course) kneel on one knee with the other leg in front (thigh horizontal and calf vertical) and pelvis in neutral. Gently push pelvis forward; hold and breath. Repeat. Do both sides.

The side tightness may be ITB - which is white tissue and pretty much set by genetics. And if it is bony there is also nothing you can do.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Invest in a foam roller! They are a killer pain wise but after a few days using it I find it totally help to work out tight muscles and tendons. I foam roll before and after all my training sessions. They are around $20-30 and there are lots of free videos online that show you how to use them. They work just like a therapeutic massage. Advice is don't start with a knobby foam roller, start with the basic smooth one.

Ahava_Melantha

I bought some Yoga zone balls earlier this month from Amazon.com. I used lacrosse ballz but they're way tooo hard for me.

I do like ballz though, they get in deeper than the foam roller. its pure torture lol but it does help. I haven't rolled on ballz in a long time because I'm waiting for the softer ones to come in.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Yes balls are good for deeper but they are not recommended to start with for someone who has never even used a foam roller. I know you can buy the actually roller balls but I can't remember where now. I got mine from the physio business I was at before.

Just speaking offhand, from my experience in sports training. The tightness is a result of contracted muscles, which is what you get from heavy exertion, of those particular muscles, in some strenuous activity. It ain't necessarily a bad thing, becos it also means, in the long term, well toned muscles.

The problem now is lack of flexibility, which you can counter with flexibility training, i.e. stretching. It's an art too, actually, this stretching. It has to be done gently & gradually, never in haste, or overdone, or you run the risk of tearing a muscle or two. It's a skill that has to be patiently learned, acquired & mastered.

You look at any gymnast. Their muscles are toned up like heck. But at the same time, they're also as flexible as rubber. That's becos they work hard on their stretching, all the time, to maintain supreme flexibility. One can say the same thing about a martial artist too, like a karate-ka, judo-ka, or tae kwon do-ka.

You might like to try these simple stretches for a start, Ahava. Gentle at first, then gradually building up to find your own tolerable limit.

1. Standing with legs apart, then bending forward, trying to touch your feet as far as you can. Repeat three times.

2. Standing with legs apart, then bending backward, as far as you can. Repeat three times.

3. Standing with legs apart, then bending sideways. Repeat three times, doing each side of your body in turn.

4. Standing with legs apart, then twisting your torso, gently, as far as you can. First leftward, then rightward.

5. From standing position, lift your thighs with your legs bent at the knees, trying to touch your chest with your knee. Repeat five times. Start with left leg. Then repeat with right leg.

6. From standing position, lift your legs up, this time keeping the leg straight all the way to your foot, like you wanna wipe someone's face, who's taller than you, with the sole of your foot (just imagine it). Repeat five times. Start with left leg. Then repeat with right leg.

Right. There's your hip loosening session for da day. Better still, do it before & after every substantial dancing session. Then, see how it goes.

Kashmir

I would strongly advise against 1 and 2. These will only work on "loosening" the vertebra in the lower back. In effect you are risking tearing of ligaments and possibly damaging your back. Safer to lie on the floor with your back supported and articulate one leg at a time.

Moderation should be the key. If that is always adhered to, one would be fine. Moderate walking, at moderate speed, over moderate distance might help too. And gyrating gently with a hoop? Might wanna try that too.

Ahava_Melantha

I've just started doing a lot more extra stretching than usual. and it does feel good and my hamstrings are much more flexible than right after knee surgery. they still aren't soft and flexible, but progress.

plus i got my yoga tuneup ballz and Ive been rolling on them almost daily.

it feels very good.

Just make sure to guard against overstretching, cos you don't want all those gains that you've made to come to nought. Again, moderation & gentleness.