Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Belly Dance as "a dance of seduction" is very modern - this myth of belly dance is Western European. Victorians could not image people "moving like that" unless it was about sex - nor could they image men or children dancing in that way - which is its roots. A folk dance used to celebrate. Due to the segregated nature of Egyptian society women do not as a rule dance in front of men. If you want to see dances of seduction - look at the Berber line and circle dances. Done in mixed groups with lots of leaping and jumping - a way for both sexes to judge the fitness of potential mates - but hardly "sexy" by western standards.

As I see it the roots of belly dance combine African movement with Arabic music, so we are looking at hundreds rather than thousands of years. Sure, people before that may have used hips and torso movements – but belly dance is more than the movements (Salsa and Hula use hips but are not “belly dance”). Unfortunately it was so commonplace we have little written evidence of dances before the 19th century. To complicate matters Western travellers were men whose only interaction with women tended to be prostitutes.

We do have some images on tombs – but analysis (“Ancient Egyptian Dances” by Irena Lexová) suggest they were nothing like belly dance; more like acrobatics.

Finally, many people limited “belly dance” to describe the staged, professional version of the folk dance (still danced today at parties and with friends). This version of the dance only goes back to the 19th century.

So depending on your definition I’d say anywhere between 200-1300 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

The Shikhatt and the dances of the Ouled Nail come to mind - and neither is Belly Dance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I wud reckon it to be even earlier, Kashmir, logically speaking ... Becos it was not that dificult to do & organise, well at the most basic level ... All one needed was a functioning drum of some sort, the most rudimentary of flutes, someone who cud sing, someone who liked to dance, and a happy celebrative mood all around ... Then, pronto, one has a fiesta ...

Post Thanks / Like

A fiesta is not belly dance - and drum is the lesser part of the music. It is not just any old dance with hips - it is a specific response to a specific style of music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    A fiesta is not belly dance - and drum is the lesser part of the music. It is not just any old dance with hips - it is a specific response to a specific style of music.

This. Plus, bellydance, unless a person was raised up in the culture, IS more difficult than a person not brought up in that culture realizes. As Kashmir pointed out, "it is not just any old dance with hips."

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I don't think anybody else mentioned it: I've learned, around here, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a belly dancing fan. I, for one, defend anybody's right to be here, be they dancer or a fan. Think about it, if there weren't any fans, the dancers might not have anybody to perform for, except themselves! So, let the party begin!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Right on, man ...

I'll hv to second that ...

You've hit it smack bang right on the head, dude ... Couldn't hv put it any better ...

And, like in any sport or game, fans should be free to judge for themselves what type or category of player they would like to like ...

Like, if we take football (soccer) as an example, some prefer a purely technically skilful player, like Lionel Messi, others like someone with a bit of flash, like David Beckham, while yet others want a player with both, like Cristiano Ronaldo ...

There ya go ...
    Last edited by DreamHunter; 05-31-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What you say is applicable to all performing arts as well sports.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, whether art or sport, both are forms of entertainment, right ...

Post Thanks / Like

No one objects to fans or admirers until they become intrusive, insulting, and/or display such levels of prurient interest that the performers become uncomfortable.

To quote Aretha:
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    Find out what it means to me
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast