Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a belly dancing fan

Hi all. I'm just another belly dancing fan. I simply admire the grace, beauty, artistry & natural spontaneity of belly dancing & belly dancers. Including those dances/dancers from diverse places around the world, which seem to be like kind of related to conventional/traditional belly dancing, which as far as I understand it, is mostly native to & rooted in the West Asian region, especially the Arabic parts of it, judging by the musical beats, melodies & instruments.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, DreamHunter. Traditional bellydance comes from the MENAT (Middle East, North Africa, and Turkey). It is rooted in countries such as Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, and even Greece. Hope you like it here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Welcome to the forum, DreamHunter. Traditional bellydance comes from the MENAT (Middle East, North Africa, and Turkey). It is rooted in countries such as Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, and even Greece. Hope you like it here.
    Thank you, Farasha Hanem. First time I've come across the abbreviation 'MENAT'. I guess it kind of means approximately the same thing as the term Levant, which is more familiar to me.

Just to engage in some nitpicking, the expression 'Middle East' is like a bit position-dependent, so it's really only geographically correct for someone in, say, UK or France, but not for someone, in, say, Pakistan or India. It was an expression that came into being during the time of the old British Empire, I guess.

I'm not a dancer, Farasha. Can't dance to save my life, got stiff legs, LOL. But I like to watch a dance. A bit like someone who likes to watch football (soccer), but can't play it.

Post Thanks / Like

Middle East works just fine for those in Asia... you just have to go a bit further to get far enough east.

Welcome, by the way.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Middle East works just fine for those in Asia... you just have to go a bit further to get far enough east.

Welcome, by the way.
    Well, Far-Enough East then. Thank you Shanazel.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mosaic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamHunter View Post
    Just to engage in some nitpicking, the expression 'Middle East' is like a bit position-dependent, so it's really only geographically correct for someone in, say, UK or France, but not for someone, in, say, Pakistan or India. It was an expression that came into being during the time of the old British Empire, I guess.
    There are lots of words and phrases which can look odd when you parse them word at a time "razed to the ground", "hand over fist" etc. "Middle East" has a meaning from Europe which arose during WWI. The "Far East" is India and China. "East" referred to Central and Eastern Europe (any thing east of Paris :-) ) The Middle East is western Asia - which actually DOES include Turkey (sometimes even Greece) so MENAT is redunant - MENA covers the birth countries of the dance.

The Levant does not include Egypt, by the way. But Egypt (and usually Libya) is part of the Middle East. However, Algera, Tunisia, and Morocco are not. Dance styles there are related - and often studied by "belly dancers" - but have no direct influence into raqs sharqi which is the performance style underlying most western belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to her. Kashmir knows stuff.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How old do you think West Asian belly dancing is, Kashmir? ... I was saying, just guessing, that it - or an ancestor of it - has very ancient origins ... like as old as ancient Egypt or ancient Mesopotamia ...

I cud even picture Semiramis getting herself into the court, & subsequently the heart, of her husband, the Nimrod of the time, on the strength of her prowess as a belly dancer ... And maybe Roxanne won Alexander's love that way too ...

But someone (was it Shanazel or Farasha?) said belly dancing is only around 150 years old ...

Let's hear your thoughts ...
    Last edited by DreamHunter; 05-21-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast