Improv belly dance with palm torches!!!

Dani

I attended Wildfire Retreat for the first time, and I got to improvise a belly dance with my palm torches!
Unfortunately, my face isn't showing how excited I am :( If you can get past my grumpy cat face, I'd love to know what you guys think!
Constructive criticism very welcome!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/lKzjS0i2Puo[/video]

Shanazel

I'm always impressed when someone can use fire without setting fire to their hair, clothes, etc. and your "grumpy cat face" is quite lovely. With the lighting, it was hard see details but you have a very nice fluidity and graceful line. The problem I see is that the fire is the star of this particular dance when it should be merely (a-hem) the illumination of the dance.

All props, be they veils, canes, goblets, or fire, exist only to support a performance and never to become the focus point themselves lest the performance become less dance and more circus act.

Dance first, foremost, and always. Let the flicking flames following your movements almost as an afterthought instead of expending energy on moving them around as fast as possible.

Dani

Dance first, foremost, and always. Let the flicking flames following your movements almost as an afterthought instead of expending energy on moving them around as fast as possible.

First off, THANK YOU!!! I'm always looking for constructive criticism, and I'm glad my grump face didn't seem too bad to you.
Second, I was trying to focus on the dance and the fire about 50-50, but I got so excited about the entire weekend that I actually forgot all the moves! :lol: I wanted to do Mayas with the palms highlighting my hips, and undulations with wrist circles, but I got lost in my enthusiasm. Hopefully I'll get better at that with more practice. I can't even use the "stage fright" excuse because my audience only had 2 people who were very friendly, so I was completely comfortable.
Blah, not good to make excuses, I know, but now I know where I need more practice! :D Again, thank you very much!

Anetta

Wow, Dani! Very good!!
Please allow a recommendation from me too:
When you do standing core moves (shimmy, undulation, belly roll) prefer not to move the fire. Keep the palm torches close to your body to lighten your muscles (the light is very flattering), so that your audience will see the move clearly and pay attention to the move, not to the light.
When you do travelling moves, use the fire as you did in the video. It is impressive and you are very good using the fire!

Dani

When you do standing core moves (shimmy, undulation, belly roll) prefer not to move the fire. Keep the palm torches close to your body to lighten your muscles (the light is very flattering), so that your audience will see the move clearly and pay attention to the move, not to the light.
When you do travelling moves, use the fire as you did in the video. It is impressive and you are very good using the fire!

I'm glad you like it, and I greatly appreciate your advice! I'm already working on an improved choreograph that will work well with fire, so hopefully soon I will post a much better one. Thank you for watching!