Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be going where said I'd never go again: adding zills to my classes. My private student wanted very much to learn zills; she is blind and zills add a dimension to dance for her that perhaps many of us can't appreciate fully. I figured as long as I've got to teach myself again for her sake, I may as well add zills to my regular classes.

Going to prove once again that I should never say never.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Zills! That's brave! Ident touch them with a 10 foot pole haha. Actually, I own really good quality zills and have played them, just can't dance at the same time!

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time I could play and dance at the same time. Guess I'll find out whether it's like riding a bicycle or not.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Where have I been?

Apart from practicing in my own living room and at classes and workshops I guess my biggest achievement is probably that I've inspired several people to start dancing (I know because some of them have told me so) despite physical and mental barriers and whatever shape of their bodies. I couldn't really ask for more than that, could I?

Other than that I started a local belly dance club in my town when I was a baby dancer. The club is still alive and (drop)kicking and now it is hosting one of the best shows in Norway (at least in my opinion, although I may be biased). Both through invited guest teachers and dancers the club has challenged and expanded the dance horizon of many of my fellow dancers around here to include both men and woman and new styles. Otherwise it would be ladies only, Egyptian 1990s style and only the most well-known Egyptian folk dances such as saidi, shaabi and beledy and maybe a very occasional melaya leff, khaleegy or fellahin. There is nothing wrong about those styles, but when you've danced or been in the audience for some years you need new input.

I've also run a couple of dance groups (including being the main choreographer). Our goal has been to entertain our audience and still be good enough to deserve being on that stage dance wise. Apart from dancing with a hint of theater and acting (for many years we were the only group doing this in my local community) and being a well composed and well staged group we've also introduced various new styles such as tribal, bollywood and flamenco fusion, modern Egyptian style and dancing with Isis wings as well as truly golden era Egyptian vintage style to our local dance community. I know groups who've come after us have been inspired by our performances (both by dancing and costuming and overall attitude as well as bringing in a theatrical aspect).

But where am I going?
    I have no idea...
    Last edited by Daimona; 07-03-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

It is nice to read what others are up to. Each person's experience is so unique.

In Nov of 2015 my dance company produced its first show, as a group, and it was a big narrative driven theatrical epic with three other collaborating troupes, ten choreographers, and forty cast members. After that (well after that and one last corporate gig) my troupe and myself decided to take a much needed hiatus. Particularly since I'm supposed to be finishing my thesis project for grad school this semester. I'm pretty burnt out though, which is why I'm on this forum instead of working on my thesis right now. I return to belly dance related things every so often to remind myself I was once good at something, and to quell the demoralization of the grad school experience.

My goals, once I finally manage to free myself from college, is to finally take Sahra's JTE courses. Also to learn a new ethnic danceform, I'm particularly interested in Algerian, Moroccan and Tunisian dances lately. I'd also like to teach again something, somewhere. Maybe beginning classes, I love teaching those. One of my troupemates and myself have been discussing crafting a workshop on group choreography. I've also been toying the idea of setting one of my current troupe choreographies on my former Utah troupemate's current troupe. And I'm toying with the idea of creating some dance combination videos. I'd also like to attend, maybe perform at/compete at the NYC Raqs festival that Mohamed Shahin's been putting on the last few years, or get out to Mendocino ME music & dance camp again, or maybe both. And I'd like to start up regular classes with someone and just be a student again. Oh, and I have a show idea that has been rolling around in my head for about 3 years now. I'd really like to produce that. I'd also like to throw myself a big graduation party with live music and dancers. And I'd like to create more integrated collaborations with some of the musicians I'm surrounded with, maybe make and record some original dance music.

Mostly my brain has been compiling a giant dance wishlist for when I graduate, assuming I can put my life in some kind of balance and have time for things. I haven't seen myself dance a proper solo in what seems like ages! I really miss being a full time dancer sometimes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12