Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Many careless members have choked on beverages while reading forum posts.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    It's a good job I wasn't drinking coffee or it would have come out of my nose.
    Ah! So you remember!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, overthought and overwrought.

Post Thanks / Like

Her thoughts on bellydance as a route to empowerment for women (as victims of patriarchal, colonial or sexist powers - secular or religious).

But it seems a bit confused at times. She wants to authentically represent the dance and use it to highlight the plight of women in Islam (or women in general), but wants to draw back from the idea that she is identifying with or being politically activist over the Islamic culture. She wishes to be 'authentic' so as not to appear culturally appropriating the dance, but acknowledges that bellydance is largely an invention to satisfy Western ideals. She wants to acknowledge that belly dance has roots in sexuality, but doesn't want it to sexualise the body. Plus there is no mention of bellydance other than as a female solo public performance - which is largely a recent, Western invention, and certainly not the only way to enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wendy Buonaventura, author of 'Serpent of the Nile', a book notable for its creative approach to evidence (i.e. she often doesn't have any at all to back up her claims), and for presenting opinions as facts throughout. It's poorly researched, inaccurate, and propagates loads of myths, but gets quoted as if it's a reliable source all the damn time because she managed to get it published by a proper publisher and it's a pretty shiny book with nice pictures.
    It's got very nice picture in it - which was its main attraction for me. The ideas it claims are interesting as Wendy Buonaventura personal view on the dance, and as with most personal views, you can take it or leave it or adapt it to suit your own. Much as you can with the OP article.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally read the whole article. First thoughts: It could really have done with proofreading (my favourite error was 'Bedouin of the dessert'), and with breaking up into clearly defined sections.

Post Thanks / Like

You did better than I did. The initial idea was interesting but I bogged down and finally gave up.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

...my favourite error was 'Bedouin of the dessert'...
    That would be the Bedouin of the Chocolate tribe...

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 07-01-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only skimmed it but it reads very much like an undergraduate essay, or perhaps a research note, with too much stuff in it and not enough focus, vague conclusions and, possibly, misattribution of some of Sunaina Maira's observations to Amira Jamarkani (because I don't recall Jamarkani writing about the horror of white BDers dancing to South Asian music, whereas I do recall Maira doing so).

She's writing in a second language, mind.

It seems like a decent first stab that needs a lot of work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast