Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: The Hip Lift

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay. Thank you to all. I finally have my hip lift moving in the right direction, but the only problem is I don't really ''feel'' anything. When on flat feet I can see the movement and I can really feel my knees/thighs working but my legs feel heavy.

    Yet when I try the hip lift with one foot or with both heels off the ground like as was suggested to me above, i can feel a tremendous difference in my abdominal and oblique muscles really working! It almost feel like I'm doing crunches while standing!

    I'm not sure what I am doing right or wrong or how it is supposed to feel.

    Any potential pointers would be helpful.

    Thanks

  2. #12
    Moderator Daimona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Okay. Thank you to all. I finally have my hip lift moving in the right direction, but the only problem is I don't really ''feel'' anything. When on flat feet I can see the movement and I can really feel my knees/thighs working but my legs feel heavy.

    Yet when I try the hip lift with one foot or with both heels off the ground like as was suggested to me above, i can feel a tremendous difference in my abdominal and oblique muscles really working! It almost feel like I'm doing crunches while standing!
    From my point of view (note that I may have a different view than your teacher, I don't actually see what you're doing and that there are many nomenclatures and explanations of moves in belly dance) it seems you're moving towards the right track and that you initially use your leg to push up the hip (hence you don't feel anything, just see the movement). When both heels are off the ground you have to activate different muscles around the torso (such as abdominal and obliques) to get the hips moving up. It could be a real workout when done repeatedly.
    --
    Daim.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    From my point of view (note that I may have a different view than your teacher, I don't actually see what you're doing and that there are many nomenclatures and explanations of moves in belly dance) it seems you're moving towards the right track and that you initially use your leg to push up the hip (hence you don't feel anything, just see the movement). When both heels are off the ground you have to activate different muscles around the torso (such as abdominal and obliques) to get the hips moving up. It could be a real workout when done repeatedly.
    Hmmm... so I pretty much have the option of either deciding to use my legs to drive the movement or my abdominals/obliques?

    Is there a difference in the look between the two?

    In Salsa all o the hip motion comes from using our legs/knees and pressing into the floor in order to push the hip out. So, it's safe to say I am pretty lazy and untrained in how to use my abs. I'm afraid that by using mainly my legs to learn the hip lift I may be going the easy route and ''cheating'' still by not learning to recruit my abs also.

    What does anyone think?

  4. #14
    Moderator Daimona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Hmmm... so I pretty much have the option of either deciding to use my legs to drive the movement or my abdominals/obliques?

    Is there a difference in the look between the two?
    Yes and yes (although, I'm too tired to explain the difference right now).


    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    In Salsa all o the hip motion comes from using our legs/knees and pressing into the floor in order to push the hip out. So, it's safe to say I am pretty lazy and untrained in how to use my abs. I'm afraid that by using mainly my legs to learn the hip lift I may be going the easy route and ''cheating'' still by not learning to recruit my abs also.
    You better get those torso muscles working as you'll gain from that in the rest of your dance training as well.
    --
    Daim.

  5. #15
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Hmmm... so I pretty much have the option of either deciding to use my legs to drive the movement or my abdominals/obliques?

    Is there a difference in the look between the two?
    Yes - they look different - leg pushed hips are more likely to end up going out as well as up and they have a more superficial feel ie the lateral flexor/glute version looks "juicier". If you want to do (modern) Egyptian style you need to be able to use the "hips" to generate the movement - not the legs. For folkloric styles however, leg generated tends to be the norm.

    And you need to be able to choose which muscles you use when you start layering. Personally, I cannot do a walking, continuous shimmy if I'm using my legs to generate the hip movement.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Yes - they look different - leg pushed hips are more likely to end up going out as well as up and they have a more superficial feel ie the lateral flexor/glute version looks "juicier". If you want to do (modern) Egyptian style you need to be able to use the "hips" to generate the movement - not the legs. For folkloric styles however, leg generated tends to be the norm.
    I apologize in advance for having so many questions, but Kashmir you've touched on a lot of points that I would like to have cleared up:

    Ahhhhh... yes!!! ''Juicy'' was exactly the term my instructor used in my private class. I had no clue what she meant by this term ''juicy'', and am still a little confused by it. Does it just mean ''very isolated'' or something?

    Secondly, we are actually able to use our glutes when doing these moves? I had read somewhere online that someone cautioned against using the glutes because they would make a dancer tense up and tight in their backside instead of loose and relaxed. Is this true?

    Thirdly, would ''Tribal Fusion'' count as leg-generated folk-loric style or more closer to ''hip-generated'' Modern Egyptian?

    My favorite bellydancer is Draconis and I havent really ever seen how differently a modern egyptian dancer looks like. But I heard Egyptian is more ''skeletal'' and Tribal is more ''muscular'' and serpentine, but I don't really understand those terms either as all bellydance looks serpentine with strong muscle involvement.

    Anyways, here is Draconis who I'm aspiring to look like one day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdUMhz1WtE

    He has such powerful isolations/contractions you can see them from a mile away. Exactly what I aim to do. I'm not sure if you guys would classify him as being more towards Egyptian, American Cabaret, Turkish, Tribal or something else. I've emailed him and he told me he has taken all four of those styles before and therefore he is a mix.

    Again-- apologies for all the questions, but they have been jumbled up in my head for a while.

  7. #17
    Moderator Darshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kyabram, Vic
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd say he's tribal fusion with a delighful twist of cabaret.

  8. #18
    Member Roshanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    I heard Egyptian is more ''skeletal'' and Tribal is more ''muscular'' and serpentine, but I don't really understand those terms either as all bellydance looks serpentine with strong muscle involvement.
    This is not true. I'm an Egyptian-style dancer, and it's extremely muscular, particularly if you are doing modern Cairo style. In my experience, dancers who do one style often have slightly odd ideas about the other styles if they haven't studied them in depth. It might be fair to say that older American Oriental style (sometimes called 'cabaret') is more skeletal, in that movements are more powered by the legs, and there is more free movement of the skeleton through space - but I'm far from an expert on that style. I'd also apply this to ATS, actually, at least to the 'fast' ATS combinations (the 'slow' combinations are much more muscular/serpentine).

    Also - new dancers often try to pin down the differences between styles as being about the movements. This is only partially true. A lot of the muscular technique used for torso isolations in Tribal Fusion, for example, is similar to Egyptian dance technique (although the posture is different, as are the arm positions) - but the musical interpretation, i.e. what you do with that technique, is completely different.

    Some good examples of male Egyptian-style dancers would be Tito Seif (one of my favourite dancers ever!) and Khaled Mahmoud.
    Good examples of female modern Egyptian style dancers off the top of my head include Dina, Randa Kamel, Aziza of Cairo (not to be confused with the American Aziza, who is also awesome but in a different way), Camellia... And for older Egyptian styles, watch Fifi Abdou (another of my favourite dancers ever), Soheir Zaki, Nagwa Fouad, Naima Akef, Taheyya Carioca, Samia Gamal...

  9. #19
    Moderator Darshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kyabram, Vic
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's more about the carriage/posture. Tribal has a 'seated' posture with a lifted/solid torso, oriental has a low centre of gravity with a lifted/floating torso and the fusion styles have a higher centre of gravity with a lifted/floating torso - in general. There are exceptions to this in every genre, but in general this is a good way to figure out a dancer's primary influential style.

  10. #20
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    I apologize in advance for having so many questions, but Kashmir you've touched on a lot of points that I would like to have cleared up:
    If the questions are genuine - no problem. How else can you learn?

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Ahhhhh... yes!!! ''Juicy'' was exactly the term my instructor used in my private class. I had no clue what she meant by this term ''juicy'', and am still a little confused by it. Does it just mean ''very isolated'' or something?
    No. On the whole "very isolated" comes across as non-juicy; it is often hard and less human. Easy to recognize - but hard to describe in words. The movements flow from one part to the other rather than being an "A" then a "B" - it goes A Ab ab aB B - that is it has definite start and end but in between it goes through every point. They do tend to be ab generated - including weight shifts. Once Ranya Renee suggested walking with your pelvic floor (engaged). It changes how you move. There is also your attention - it has to be internal while doing the move - you feel those muscles moving. And generally slow - hard to be juicy and fast (not impossible).

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Secondly, we are actually able to use our glutes when doing these moves? I had read somewhere online that someone cautioned against using the glutes because they would make a dancer tense up and tight in their backside instead of loose and relaxed. Is this true?
    Which move? and when? You don't use your glutes for a shimmy (butt and thighs should be slappingly loose) - but without glutes you have no control over a hip drop - only you just engage at the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Thirdly, would ''Tribal Fusion'' count as leg-generated folk-loric style or more closer to ''hip-generated'' Modern Egyptian?
    Unfortunately "Tribal Fusion" can mean just about anything - so it depends on the actual dance/dancer. Many Tribal Fusion dancers have yoga backgrounds which does add quite a bit of ab usage. But none look anything like Modern Egyptian (that I've seen) - tends to use way more torso than any Egyptian style dancer (of any genre).

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    My favorite bellydancer is Draconis and I havent really ever seen how differently a modern egyptian dancer looks like. But I heard Egyptian is more ''skeletal'' and Tribal is more ''muscular'' and serpentine, but I don't really understand those terms either as all bellydance looks serpentine with strong muscle involvement.
    You've just gone an pushed a button! First up, those that go on about "Egyptian is more ''skeletal'' and Tribal is more ''muscular'' and serpentine" tend to be Tribal dancers who wouldn't know Egyptian style if they tripped over it in the hall. There seems to be this idea if it isn't Tribal it must be Egyptian - and all sorts of rubbish gets tossed together (to the extent I have heard of a Tribal teacher offering "American Cabaret" class ending in an "Egyptian" choreography. I suspect neither label is accurate.)

    Next - no dance is "skeletal" - you move your bones with muscles. ALL movement is muscular. However, some movement is more leg muscle driven, some more ab muscle driven.

    Old style western belly dance was more leg driven (no surprising as the first generation non-ME dancers had ballet, jazz, and flamenco backgrounds). When Egyptian was introduced in the 1990s (for instance with Raqia Hassan's tour in 1996) - American dancers were introduced to ab generated movement. Tribal at that stage hadn't even been invented - and early Tribal looked very leg generated to my eye.

    Draconis looks like a good dancer - I'd put him in the American/Turkish camp. To see some Egyptian style check out Lucy, Fifi, Dina etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    He has such powerful isolations/contractions you can see them from a mile away. Exactly what I aim to do.
    Okay - if this is your preferred style - then Egyptian is NOT what you are after. The physicality overrides the music to my eye - and it is way too much. In Egyptian it is about the music - and you don't spoonfeed your audience - they have to watch you. You have control but it isn't to gross out your audience - it is so you have a wider palette to choose from to express the music.

    Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •