Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learn bellydance with a cartoon character

Hi bellydancers,

Here is how to learn bellydance with a cartoon character. So wonderful! It can be inspiring for kids besides adults. So far, two videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6bo0szCo0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnjsi4DLBpY

enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to be fair, I realize the person's YouTube channel has only two videos, and there are probably more to come. That being said, I already see some problems:

It might be inspiring for kids, but I prefer having a human teacher, myself. Secondly, bellydance is so much more than simply breaking down the raw movements. It's all about the music: taking those movements, putting them together, making them flow, and interpreting the music with them. The music used in the videos is definitely not bellydance music. This is one of the problems I have with Neon: not using ME music to teach bellydance, not even "Westernized" or pop ME.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, it's tribal fusion music and styling in the cartoon practice gear. I think the concept is quite clever, although I definitely teach snake arms in a different way (that doesn't result in ears & shoulders meeting) I wonder if it's a stylistic difference between oriental styles and tribal fusion.

Bookmarking for later - this is really cute and the abstract nature of a cartoon character helps to remove the 'my body doesn't move like yours' thing. I don't think it would work for anything BUT tf though because tf is so accented in styling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    To be fair, it's tribal fusion music and styling in the cartoon practice gear. I think the concept is quite clever, although I definitely teach snake arms in a different way (that doesn't result in ears & shoulders meeting) I wonder if it's a stylistic difference between oriental styles and tribal fusion.

Bookmarking for later - this is really cute and the abstract nature of a cartoon character helps to remove the 'my body doesn't move like yours' thing. I don't think it would work for anything BUT tf though because tf is so accented in styling.

I thought so; this reminded me of tribal style. I only wished that it was explained in the description. I'm afraid it might confuse some people who are unfamiliar with bellydance styles.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Thanks for your precious comments.
    Three more videos have been added now: shimmy, maya, reverse maya
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAA9Mk0rt9Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnjsi4DLBpY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6bo0szCo0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezUTagz5zU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAFI_bR0Zw

I totally agree that the music is not a real bellydance music. The reason is the copyright problems when creating a video on youtube. The musics are usually selected from the free audio library of youtube to avoid complications.
    Regarding the style, it looks more like tribal fusion style. The reason is that the movements are too much isolated for instructional purposes. However, the breakdown is the same as other styles, only that in some styles like the oriental style, they are not done very isolated. An example, as you mentioned, is the snake arm. In tribal fusion, the snake arms is done exactly as Susi does (keeping the middle finger tip in place), but in oriental style the middle finger moves.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Susi bellydance: arm waving

Post Thanks / Like

My middle finger mostly moves if there is someone very, very rude in the audience.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Oooooooooookay then. I have been taught things WRONG by master teachers. I have been teaching my students WRONG. Must. Obey. flowerrose. *twitch*

Okay, now that that's out of my system, let me just say that for about a decade I've studied various styles of bellydance with master teachers and a dvd collection that rivals major schools (to be honest I have a habit of buying the collections of major schools when they downsize/close). flowerrose, you are very very wrong about the differences between tribal, tribal fusion and oriental styles of bellydance. Can I suggest maybe studying outside of your chosen genre for a few years before telling people how it is? Otherwise you risk insulting the people you're trying to impress.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't intend to insult anyone, dear Darshiva.
    I just introduced a channel for learning bellydance basic moves with a cute cartoon character. The channel is of course for beginners only, at least for now. Then you talked about styles, which is the next step for bellydancers to major in, and I gave my personal opinion. I have been dancing egyptian and tribal fusion.
    You are free to discuss and correct my opinion and I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flowerrose View Post
    I didn't intend to insult anyone, dear Darshiva.
    I just introduced a channel for learning bellydance basic moves with a cute cartoon character. The channel is of course for beginners only, at least for now. Then you talked about styles, which is the next step for bellydancers to major in, and I gave my personal opinion. I have been dancing egyptian and tribal fusion.
    You are free to discuss and correct my opinion and I appreciate it.
    Interesting. I could have sworn you said this:

Quote Originally Posted by flowerrose View Post
    Regarding the style, it looks more like tribal fusion style. The reason is that the movements are too much isolated for instructional purposes. However, the breakdown is the same as other styles, only that in some styles like the oriental style, they are not done very isolated. An example, as you mentioned, is the snake arm. In tribal fusion, the snake arms is done exactly as Susi does (keeping the middle finger tip in place), but in oriental style the middle finger moves.
    Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast