Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dying forums?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dying forums?

It seems to me that Face***k is killing both this site and Bhuz. I sure hope not, there are plenty of VERY active fora in other specialties, firearms and pianos are two that I'm aware of. Why are BD fora dying?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's just belly dance though this, my favorite, seems to be hit hardest of the forums I belong to. The pagan forum's traffic has fallen 75% since last year and even the bike forum only gets half the traffic it used to, though part of that is due to a division in the ranks over a divorce. It's a group of people who know each other well and some chose sides when the lady and her new gentleman stayed with our forum and the old gentleman went to a different forum. Really sad on a lot of levels.

I loathe F***book. I have an account under a false name so I can do the museum's page as part of my job- did not want an account at all and can't believe some of the crap people post.

I miss everyone that used to come here (well, almost everyone ) and am afraid of losing contact with even more people if it folds. Hate to even contemplate such a thing but...
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only forum I am on now, I noticed a couple of others I was involved in also faded away in the last couple of years. It is very quiet here as well. Very few are joining & many don't post or post once or twice then seem to disappear. I think it is the nature of the beast, people find new outlets over time & forums have lost their popularity.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I also wondered if belly dance itself has hit a bit of a trough as it has done in the past. People go to the fusion stuff and aren't interested in working hard enough to learn the real thing when they can shake their hips, do a couple of cartwheels and call it a belly dance fusion.

Oooo. Cynical.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

What are the general level of interest on bd worldwide atm?

Where I live, the interest is a bit lower now than it was a little while ago with fewer attendees at bd courses and fewer courses being offered as well. The interest on belly dance (and other things) goes up and down. We can't even blame fusion dancers as there aren't many of them around my place.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I do agree that BD is in, or at least headed towards, a "trough" in popularity right now. Between the economy and the usual boom/bust cycle.

Shanazel: I'm still irritated that "Wren's Nest" fled Witchvox for Face***k, but haven't been on the bike forum for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Things are bad enough in Australia that, after moving to a state capital, I had to cancel my abn as I had no new business in 6 months. One student is enough to classify me a hobbyist, not a business. I'm happy with one student, but the ATO isn't!

Post Thanks / Like

:/

I check on my be board every evening, but I'm usually too exhausted to get. Dry involved.

Post Thanks / Like

I still lurk fairly consistently here and on Bhuz, but it is so quiet now

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Darshiva, BD is very quiet in Aussie, in Melbourne you hardly even hear it mentioned these days Maybe in time there will be a turn around. It's a bit like fashion, if you keep things for a few years it is bound to become fashionable again
    ~M
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast