Nadira Jamal's Rock the Routine

Darshiva

Just one little thing I want to point out. You used the word critique in the article where you meant criticism. The entire article is a critique, it is a structured analasys of a body of work, and that is what a critique is. A lot of people don't understand that and misuse the word, and as someone with a partial art education I just wanted to get you on the right track.

Would you mind overly changing the word please?

atisheh

Just one little thing I want to point out. You used the word critique in the article where you meant criticism. The entire article is a critique, it is a structured analasys of a body of work, and that is what a critique is. A lot of people don't understand that and misuse the word, and as someone with a partial art education I just wanted to get you on the right track.

This is what happens when we write late at night. Yes, I know the difference between "critique" and "criticism," though "critique" is used as criticism colloquially. And when I write late, I get very colloquial. :)

atisheh

I have to say though that this is the first time I've been asked to edit one of my blog posts for any reason. I did change it, because language is important to me, but it's honestly very strange to be asked to change my wording to suit someone else's preferences of register.

Darshiva

I have to say though that this is the first time I've been asked to edit one of my blog posts for any reason. I did change it, because language is important to me, but it's honestly very strange to be asked to change my wording to suit someone else's preferences of register.

I know, and it's not normally something I would ask. It's just that it's one little thing that turns artists into bad guys. I like that english is an evolving, living language, but in this particular instance I think we need to have a word that means what critique does. Until we come up with something distinctly different that works, I'm going to cling to that one like a limpet.

Thanks for changing the word. I wouldn't have been upset if you hadn't, but I really appreciate you doing it. :)