Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    Wow!That youtube video is awesome!

It looks just like Tribal Fusion, doesn't it! ''Baladi'', is it?
    Yes you are confused, because Baladi is actually the MOST authentically Egyptian belly dance you can find. It's the source of all the rest.

I think where you're confused is that the belly dance inyour video is more widespread in the West. For one thing, belly dancers work in restaurants, and restaurant audiences (outside Egypt) don't want to see Baladi - they want to see an exciting show that moves across the floor. For another, mastering Baladi is more challenging than learning the other aspects of bd - and since many bd students are just learning for fun, some teachers stick to the easier aspects of the dance.

I must say it does always sadden me to see classes moving on to learning veil and sword and Isis Wings and fan veils in Beyond Beginners when they still barely know what they're doing with their muscles, but I guess teachers have to do what they need to make a crust!

Post Thanks / Like

OHMYGOSH I fell asleep with my phone in my hand, on YouTube!!! @______@;;;

http://youtu.be/yV7xCIFt3Xw

This is a video, by Tarik Sultan, showing children doing Raqs Sharqui.

Here is another video taken by Tarik:

http://youtu.be/EEamI4DKx_Q

And here's my fave video of Tarik himself, doing an off-the-cuff improv cane dance:

http://youtu.be/dHHa5RRByhk

The joy is infectious!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 08-09-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, the only dancers I like are Tribal Fusion dancers. They look very strong, expressive, emotive, controlled and graceful.
    This description could also fit many other dancers in various styles as well.
    Just keep an open mind and explore and enjoy the world of belly dance. Noone expect you to like everything, but keep the ones you like for inspiration.

Oh man. Then Im in bad shape, because the male TF dancer that I look up to has told me that he's taken AmCab, Turkish, AND Egyptian in addition to being a TFer. Too much...
    You don't have to do everything at once, just start building your basic knowledge and explore various styles while you think of it as a long term project and have fun.

Wow!That youtube video is awesome!

It looks just like Tribal Fusion, doesn't it! ''Baladi'', is it? You mentioned ''oriental''... is that the same as ''Egyptian''? And there are various styles of it?
    ...Now I'm really confused.

You sure she isn't doing TF?
    Ranya Renee IS awesome. It is as simple as that.
    She has specialized in Egyptian style dances and is also teaching theatrical performance skills and techniques to belly dance performers dancers and other artists.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the wonderful posts that have explained that Egyptian BD isn't about swords and compulsory veils and fire, I'd like to point out that when you look closely at that footage of Valerick doing a high energy modern Egyptian-style number, you will see that all the complex and juicy muscularity of the baladi clip you liked is STILL THERE, it's just got more elaborate footwork on it.

I'm really sad that you've been so badly misled as to what both TF and Egyptian/Middle Eastern dance actually are.

There is lots and lots of prop-centric dancing that is really superficial and not "Egyptian" in any meaningful way - there's lots of TF prop work when it comes to that - but the clip you show is pretty good from what I can see of it (my connection is bad tonight). I don't see it as skeletal or balletic at all. It's just what I call bloody hard and lovely work.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have anything to add to the words of wisdom here on what is and isn't Egyptian style, but wanted to send a high five to Zumarrad. I was at a hafla last night watching a TF number and the robots were farting away like there was no tomorrow. It's made my evening to know that someone else still recognises them as a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL don't get me wrong, I like a farting robot or two. It's cool music. It's just not what I want to BD to.

Post Thanks / Like

o.0 W-wait, FARTING ROBOTS?!?!? @____@;;

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to look for an original citation in a TF context for you Farasha, but Googling it just made me laugh and now I have to go to physio. It's that industrial type music with strange honking metallic sounds which probably has a genre and sub-genre all to itself for all I know.

I don't think I'd have that much of an opinion on it one way or the other if it wasn't at haflas confusing me.

Post Thanks / Like

0.o ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Thank goodness it's only music. My mind was seeing a chorus line of backup dancer robots farting! >.>;;;;;

Post Thanks / Like

It's called dubstep.

https://youtu.be/yiNYUQXMH0A

Robot farting doesn't kick in for a minute or so. This seems to be a thing. It's like oriental music in that respect.

I'm not a connoisseur but this video (and others of people dancing to it who are not BDers) is a good example of why it goes quite well with tribal fusion.

https://youtu.be/LXO-jKksQkM

This is the fab Ebony Qualls doing her take on TF to dubstep:
    https://youtu.be/cNvTm72aGcM

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast