Weird Belly Dance Teaching

Amulya

I hate hate hate when people make it look like something airy fairy woo stuff, look at this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 132

Shanazel

Maybe I'll offer, "Get in touch with your inner puppy dog spirit belly dance" at the rec center next spring.

Duvet

I guess we each find our own way of expressing how dance can help us feel good, but the only higher vibration I got from this was to vigorously shake my head! :rolleyes:

I am relieved to see people's reactions to this. One of Sydney's most prominent teachers is always going on about connecting with your chakras etc, and it used to make me uncomfortable in class! I thought I was the odd one out - she has a lot of very advanced students who say things like, "I came to [this teacher] thinking I could dance, but she has allowed me to connect to my higher purpose"....

Kashmir

I am relieved to see people's reactions to this. One of Sydney's most prominent teachers is always going on about connecting with your chakras etc, and it used to make me uncomfortable in class! I thought I was the odd one out - she has a lot of very advanced students who say things like, "I came to [this teacher] thinking I could dance, but she has allowed me to connect to my higher purpose"....
Chakras? That's one confused puppy! Maybe you could show her a map and point out the distance between the Middle East and India.

Jeanne

Yeah, I also hate it when people try to bring this kind of thing into belly dance. I don't have anything against the various kinds of spiritual pursuits that people engage in -- I'm even one to occasionally participate -- but it has nothing to do with belly dance. Trying to impose one on the other is kind of nonsensical and gives people the wrong idea.

Shanazel

I'm gonna pout 'cause I haven't got a clue and probably still wouldn't even if you told me since I'm not familiar with the Belly Dancers of Oz.

Tsk. And I do so like to be outraged. ;)

Sometimes I think they do it just to draw in a different clientele in addition to those who'd genuinely like to learn to dance. Right now I have a new student who is into the whole goddess dancing trip which is a-ok-nifty fine with me as long as it doesn't take up class time.