When are you ready for workshops?

TiaSerena

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know if there is a particular level you are supposed to be at in your learning before you should start taking workshops? I see that some workshops post "some experience", "beginners", or "everyone" which is completely straight forward, but I some don't say anything at all.

Thanks,

Tia-Serena

Aisha Azar

Workshops

Dear Tia-Serena,
I think this is a great question.
The answer is that it depends on what level the workshop is basically geared to, and what is being covered.
For example, I gave a workshop recently in Gulf dance. Many of the dancers were seasoned belly dancers, but most were new authentic Gulf dance.
If we are talking about belly dance, it is a good idea to ask your instructor about the material that is being presented. Often beginners can get SOMETHING out of a workshop, but many are geared to intermediate dancers as opposed to brand new beginners. The way that I usually teach in a workshop situation is that we will cover the basic movements in the movement families that we will be working with, and go on from there, so that there is something for dancers at every level. I do this because I want us all to be on the same page as far as what we are doing with the movement.
Regards,
A'isha

Hi TiaSerena, In addition to Aisha's comments it also depends on the students frame of mind. Even as a brand new beginner, the student will get more out of the workshop if he/she approaches learning as a journey as opposed to a destination. I've been to some wonderful workshops using the method that Aisha describes, and I have learned a lot more than steps. Good workshop instuctors recognize that all intermediate/advanced dancers aren't on the same page and thus they gear the workshop to meet most of their needs. I think the best type of workshops for beginners are the ones that focus on rhythm and musical interpretation, folkloric styles and combinations.
Workshops are also an excellent way to meet other dancers and network, buy costumes(in which you can try them on) and music, speak to the instructor in person and get autographs;) .
Yasmine

TiaSerena

Thank you both for your responses! I didn't want to show up to a workshop and be completely lost. lol. I am at the intermediate level. I am exploring, practicing, and I want to articulate my movements.

My teacher encourages students in my classes to take workshops for all the reason you mentioned Yasmine. I think that is what has me on the look out for workshops in my area. I am also fascinated by each bellydancers "signature move." We all get to learn the basics, but I think each belyldancer has that one (or three) things that they do soooo well you just wish you could look like them. I can what I learn from them and make it my own.

A`isha, I love the articles on your website :clap: