Cane twirling...

Aniseteph

I hold it pretty loose but was possibly gripping a bit harder because it was a workshop and there were assorted fancy things to do without hitting other people or dropping it too much.:redface:

The foil tape on that cane is quite thick. I think it's the edge of the tape that doesn't lie smooth that does the damage.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't have extensive experience with foil taped canes, mine is taped with electrical tape at the grip and on the crook. I can understand holding on tighter in a workshop when you're trying to learn new stuff! Taking out one's classmates and/or instructor is considered poor form by most dance authorities!

Roshanna

Depends on the classmate/instructor. ;)

I had the good fortune to take a Saiidi workshop with Hassan Saber whilst in Egypt, and whilst it was a fantastic, inspirational class, health and safety was obviously not uppermost in his mind whilst about 10 of us were twirling the MASSIVE tahtib sticks in a not-all-that-large studio... The sticks really were massive - I'm 6'1" and he insisted I have the biggest one, and now my big stick at home feels woefully inadequate ;)

Roshanna

PS, if you don't kind me shamelessly showing off, I'm very pleased with this video of my Big Stick in action last week :D there's not any proper twirling in this clip, alas (I got to that later!), but a fair bit of slightly-threatening swinging.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1003360709702760&set=vb.18686111801939 4&type=2&theater[/video]

(with apologies to Zorba for the video format :p I've not had time to put it on youtube yet)

Shanazel

Honey, you're absolutely glorious and if you don't deserve to show off a bit then no one does. Thank you for sharing the clip.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
PS, if you don't kind me shamelessly showing off, I'm very pleased with this video of my Big Stick in action last week :D there's not any proper twirling in this clip, alas (I got to that later!), but a fair bit of slightly-threatening swinging.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1003360709702760&set=vb.18686111801939 4&type=2&theater[/video]

(with apologies to Zorba for the video format :p I've not had time to put it on youtube yet)

It was publicly accessible, and VERY nice! Smooth and graceful. I like your music choice too.

Roshanna

Honey, you're absolutely glorious and if you don't deserve to show off a bit then no one does. Thank you for sharing the clip.
It was publicly accessible, and VERY nice! Smooth and graceful. I like your music choice too.

:) Thank you both :) the music is from the 'Egyptian Baladi Live' CD (available here http://www.layalisharqmusic.co.uk/buy_raqs_sharqi_music.htm), which is one of my absolute favourite albums for dance (most of the tracks are too long for most performance venues, but I dance to them at home a lot).

Jeanne

Very nice, Roshanna.

I've always wanted to do a fun cane piece for a holiday hafla, and since someone i know is actually putting one on this year, I may go for it. I'm thinking of using the Russian dance from the Nutcracker (which is barely over a minute long, so I'll have to add something else on).

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
There is not going to be a Christmas Hafla in these parts this year...

... which is good in a way. If I had to sit through 5 renditions of "Santa Baby", I think I'd scream! Nutcracker would be MUCH nicer! :clap:

Jeanne

I've never seen a belly dance rendition of "Santa Baby" -- sounds like something that would be cute the first time and kind of deadly thereafter. The Smuin Ballet has one in their holiday program that I'd love to catch someday -- the lead dancer traipses around the stage with a 10-foot red feather boa.

Anyway, if you should happen to feel energetic enough to head all the way up to Lafayette, it looks like Samira Dawn's hafla will be the scene this year.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yea. Oy vey is right.

At least one dancer around here does it every )#@(%*)( year. Bad dancing to a bad Xmas song...

Roshanna

Bellydance to Santa Baby is on the list of things I've seen at haflas which I would prefer not to see again.
The most frustrating thing is that the dancers who do this kind of super-cliched novelty stuff always seem to think they are being really creative :rolleyes:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Bellydance to Santa Baby is on the list of things I've seen at haflas which I would prefer not to see again.
The most frustrating thing is that the dancers who do this kind of super-cliched novelty stuff always seem to think they are being really creative :rolleyes:
I've observed that also - like they're REALLY the first one to think of that?!? :wall: