Bow legs?

Peach

Hey Guys...this is my first post on here. I am quite terrified about something and I really hope someone replies to this.
So, I'm a 21 year old female who is learning BD since the age of 18. The thing is, I'm bow legged. I face no problems while dancing as of now, but I'm terrified that it will pose as a limitation in the future and I will have to give up on this dance I love so much. What should I do to protect my knees so that I can Belly dance atleast till the age of 35? I never lock them and keep my weight "centered'. Is there anything else?

When I shimmy, (hip shimmy) I feel some pressure and tension on my ankles. I always thought this is just a problem I'm facing because I've never danced before this. But now I feel maybe this is because of bow legs as well?

Also is there anyone here who dances even with bad knees? Or has students who do? Is that possible? Please help me. I really don't want to give up this dance in the future. Please. I've started practicing yoga and I'm a skinny girl, if that helps.

Roshanna

I strongly recommend seeing a sports physiotherapist. It's possible to work with all kinds of physical issues and keep dancing, and I know plenty of dancers with various injuries and physical problems who still dance (and who are, in many cases, very good dancers), but you will be best off getting some expert advice on what exactly is going on with your body, and what you need to do to look after yourself.

Peach

Firstly, thank you so much for replying. I'm so relieved to hear that people do manage to dance with physical problems.. Gives me hope. I will find a physiotherapist as soon as I can. Thank you:)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yes, what Roshanna said. There are dancers out there who have just about any kind of problem you can name, and still dance. Dancing has HELPED a lot of them, others manage "despite". But a good Doc will help you analyze what's going on with YOUR body so you can make the best plan possible.

I think you'll probably be dancing well past age 35!

Shanazel

I've been dancing on bum knees and bad hips since 1978. Finally threw in the towel 18 months ago in my very, very late fifties. ;)

Kashmir

I have a number of students with bad knees - even knee replacements. One performed into her 70s.

Yes, see a sports or rehab physio. Most are unfamiliar with belly dance so you may need to show him/her what we do.

As far as shimmies go, drop the type generated from the legs (especially the Modern Egyptian) and investigate driving from the abs. You'll still move your knees (you have to) but there will be less tension there. Similarly for horizontal hip eights do NOT use your legs to drive them; using your abs enables you to reduce the chance of twisting the knee. And needless to say, keep away from Reda technique (all those pivoting arabesques etc).

Shanazel

I have never (she says with some degree of pride, being an old (very old)-fashioned AmCab girl) driven shimmies or figure eights from the legs. Legs are things on which to support or transport yourself while the rest of you dances. ;)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have never (she says with some degree of pride, being an old (very old)-fashioned AmCab girl) driven shimmies or figure eights from the legs. Legs are things on which to support or transport yourself while the rest of you dances. ;)
I was thinking half of the same thing - I've never driven figure eights from the legs, and I wish I could say the same about (straight) shimmies. Which probably explains why I had such a hard time learning them! Of course, it took a "old skool" AmCab teacher to untangle this mess...

Peach

Thank you SO MUCH Zorba, Shanazel and Kashmir for replying to my post. I felt so much better after reading them after being scared for so long :) I have located reputed physiotherapist and even scheduled an appointment. So thank you:)
I am guilty of generating my shimmy from my legs:( But now that I'm aware of this, I will surely try to switch to the technique you mentioned. Will there be a video on this technique somewhere? Datura? Most videos show the technique I'm already using:/
Once again, thank you everyone! :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
FWIW, there's LOTS of dancers both teaching and performing shimmies from the legs - it isn't necessarily *wrong* per se, its just different. But *for me*, not driving it from my legs - but rather letting the legs go along for the ride - helped *me* immeasurably. It helps me to concentrate on my obliques - but Kashmir and/or Shanazel can probably explain FAR better than I can!

Peach

Hi! Yes I do have a teacher, but I was compelled to take a 'break' thanks to my exams and some other issues. I thought I should use this break to perfect my technique and figuring things out before joining class again... I know I should be asking my teacher to show me this technique, but she usually uses her legs to shimmy as well...idk how to ask her, to be honest :( plus I won't be seeing her for a month now, as she has gone to Egypt. :/ so was wondering if I can learn online...

Jans

I am not bow legged but I'm worried about my knees as well (history of knee issues in my family) I would love to know how to shimmy from the abs and obliques as well :D

Kashmir

It is an awareness thing. I learnt to shimmy this way naturally - it's using my legs that is unnatural.

Start with a slow hip rock ie relaxed knees and bring your hips up vertically. At the start keep your weight centred. Now, put your hands on your waist. What do you feel? There should be muscle powering the hip movement. Now, thumbs on waist and finger tips either side of your spine. Anything? If your seem to be using your lateral flexors it is "just" a matter of using these for your shimmy. If not bring your awareness to them. Maybe do some side bends if you are rally stuck.

Above all stay relaxed, breathe, and make sure the movement is vertical and not pushed out to the side.

Peach

Hello everyone! I finally consulted the physiotherapist yesterday :) He said that my legs are only slightly bowed and though I do have to take extra care, I'll be able to dance just fine with regular exercise and calcium intake :D (it was a little awkward though... I had to do some Belly dance and Odissi moves right there in his clinic :p) but other than that it was all cool.

Thank you for your advice and support :D And thank you Kashmir for breaking down the shimmy technique. I tried it and as of now my whole body is shaking but I'm sure if I practice I'll get it! Thanks :)