Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate watching myself in the mirror. There's always that little voice whispering ugh just look at yourself, and it's so hard to shut it up long enough to concentrate on something more constructive. Shadow watching OTOH - love it. The little voice doesn't recognise that the shadow is me .

It can be extra hard watching yourself in a class situation if you're focused on doing what the teacher is telling you to do; relaxing and going with it is not where your mind is at when you are trying to get the hang of a move or remember what comes next. Also moves that look great on your teacher may not look so great on you just because bodies are built differently. In your own time you may be able to tweak it to suit (or decide to not bother with it at all!), but that's not something you can do in most classes.

Definitely give yourself a break, and try the shadow thing.

Post Thanks / Like

2,5 years is nothing! Hang in there and practice. Be glad that your technique is sound. That is a great foundation to build your flow and personal expression on. You don't mention this but you might want to consider taking workshops and lessons from other teachers as well. We all have different ways of dancing, explaining and expressing ourselves and you never know who might have something brilliant to say or do that takes your dancing further.
    immer glimmer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12