Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A question about performance.

For people who take online courses because they have no teachers in their area where do you perform?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, I can only guess for friends and family - at least at first...

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic - but how do you know you are ready to perform without an experienced dancer available to give feedback not only on your technique (the easy one) but musical interpretation and stage presence? Once you find that person, ask them where you should start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Off topic - but how do you know you are ready to perform without an experienced dancer available to give feedback not only on your technique (the easy one) but musical interpretation and stage presence? Once you find that person, ask them where you should start.
    That's another excellent question. I wonder about that also. I have no instructors within a distance that I can afford the gas to drive to and I was thinking about online classes but it kind of seems like it might not have much of a future. I was just wondering if anyone else had actually gone down that road with any success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Solstyce View Post
    That's another excellent question. I wonder about that also. I have no instructors within a distance that I can afford the gas to drive to and I was thinking about online classes but it kind of seems like it might not have much of a future. I was just wondering if anyone else had actually gone down that road with any success.
    If you haven't started learning yet, take things one step at a time. Most dancers take regular classes for several years before starting to think about performing! You can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Even if you can't afford to travel to a real teacher every week, you might be able to arrange to have occasional private lessons, either in person or on Skype, with a good teacher. You might also want to consider saving up to travel sometimes to workshops, residential courses or conventions, even if it's just once a year or something. The big dance events usually include performance opportunities of some sort.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been living in rural areas for 15ish years (except for a brief 6 month stint in a capital city earlier this year) and to answer your question, I travel to perform for the most part. Locally, I try to be involved in variety shows and local markets & stuff, but there isn't a lot of paid work in performing in rural Australia. Most of my income comes from teaching online classes, would you believe it?

Anyway, my advice to you is to network with your local performing arts groups and once you're ready to perform (your teacher will let you know when you're ready) approach them about being involved in a show.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

First learn to dance for the sheer pleasure of it. When your ability equals your pleasure, then start thinking about whether or not you want to perform.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I did some online learning and a few minor performances as part of a private party and my theatre group - so it was all friends and family and no-one paid any entry fee. This helped me gain in confidence and get feedback on what was good/what people found boring/what was terrible.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm ready to perform where people are actually paying to watch! But that said - my teacher wanted me to join in her show after only being in the class for two weeks, so maybe she's over-optimistic, or her standards aren't as high as mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XanaDance View Post
    I did some online learning and a few minor performances as part of a private party and my theatre group - so it was all friends and family and no-one paid any entry fee. This helped me gain in confidence and get feedback on what was good/what people found boring/what was terrible.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm ready to perform where people are actually paying to watch! But that said - my teacher wanted me to join in her show after only being in the class for two weeks, so maybe she's over-optimistic, or her standards aren't as high as mine
    Dance teacher or theatre teacher? If it was you dance teacher, I'm appalled. No-one is ready to belly dance in public after a few lessons - unless it acting as background scenery. If it was your drama teacher then the issue is she really has no idea what is involved in belly dance. No surprise there. However, by agreeing to go on stage as a belly dancer you are not doing yourself or the genre any favours. People will assume they saw real belly dance and conclude there isn't much to it.

As far as feedback goes, the General Public is not the answer. You need feedback from an experience belly dancer. How do you expect the GP to know what belly dance actually is? Whether your technique was correct? Whether you interpreted the music correctly? All they can tell you is whether you project and communicate well (important but not the whole of the dance) and if they liked your costume (which they are unlikely to know if it is appropriate).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Solstyce View Post
    For people who take online courses because they have no teachers in their area where do you perform?
    If someone is learning from online sources, then I would be surprised if they ever get good enough to perform!

To get to a performance standard in dancing, you really need feedback and correction from a real live teacher. Perhaps you could look for some summer schools or belly dance holidays where you could get some personal tuition, as well as honest feedback on your standard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast