Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jans View Post
    Also this -https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.quora.com/In-this-day-and-age-are-bellydancers-considered-women-of-ill-repute-in-the-Islamic-world&ei=lYblVFrm&lc=en-IN&s=1&m=650&ts=1450514449&sig=ALL1Aj4dSjTkNTvD64z PqI29udE1uzfTpQ
    This is quite different. This is not a troll but someone explaining how belly dance is seen in his country: "bellydancers are pretty much considered as prostitutes by society in Iraq" - this also VERY definitely applies in Egypt (never wear anything belly dancerish in public in Egypt - or gush that you're a belly dancer unless you want a very negative - and possibly dangerous - reaction) but he also says "I don't necessarily believe in that stereotype".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    This is quite different. This is not a troll but someone explaining how belly dance is seen in his country: "bellydancers are pretty much considered as prostitutes by society in Iraq" - this also VERY definitely applies in Egypt (never wear anything belly dancerish in public in Egypt - or gush that you're a belly dancer unless you want a very negative - and possibly dangerous - reaction) but he also says "I don't necessarily believe in that stereotype".

Wow this is surprising. My teachers go to Egypt often and I've never heard about anything like this...infact one of the students who went with them said 'It was one of the best things to ever happen to her". This is disappointing and sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is surprising. My teachers go to Egypt often and I've never heard about anything like this...infact one of the students who went with them said 'It was one of the best things to ever happen to her". This is disappointing and sad.
    I'm sure your teachers are fully aware of it. Some teachers feel the need to downplay or even ignore it: they feel they have enough trouble distancing belly dance from stripping in the West, so admitting there are bigger problems in the Middle East would only make it worse.

Students on a tour in Egypt would have been in a nice protective bubble and wouldn't be aware of the general public's reaction. I know I didn't realise when I was there!
    Last edited by Bellydance Oz; 01-08-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    I'm sure your teachers are fully aware of it. Some teachers feel the need to downplay or even ignore it: they feel they have enough trouble distancing belly dance from stripping in the West, so admitting there are bigger problems in the Middle East would only make it worse.

Students on a tour in Egypt would have been in a nice protective bubble and wouldn't be aware of the general public's reaction. I know I didn't realise when I was there!
    Yes I agree. I can see this discouraging potential students. Makes sense. I understand that my friend probably only spoke to other dancers and musicians there and hence came back completely unaware of these views. Good for her, I guess.
    It came as a shock to me because I ignorantly thought that the bad rep Belly dance gets is only because of wrong media representation by the west. I also always told my friends and family that its a social dance that has very different connotations in the countries it originated from. Oh well. This is discouraging but...I'll obviously hang on. Thank you for replying

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree. I can see this discouraging potential students. Makes sense. I understand that my friend probably only spoke to other dancers and musicians there and hence came back completely unaware of these views. Good for her, I guess.
    It came as a shock to me because I ignorantly thought that the bad rep Belly dance gets is only because of wrong media representation by the west. I also always told my friends and family that its a social dance that has very different connotations in the countries it originated from. Oh well. This is discouraging but...I'll obviously hang on. Thank you for replying

Belly dance has been associated with prostitution in the Middle East for a long time. However, belly dance IN THE WEST has evolved into something different, and one that we can be proud of.

It's like ballet in the 19th century - in its country of origin, France, the dancers were all hookers, but that doesn't mean ballet dancers in other countries felt ashamed of their art form. They just got on with making their own version the best it could be - and look where it is now!

Belly dancing in the West has become an art form that empowers women (and some gay men) to express themselves regardless of shape, size or age. That's a great thing.

http://kissesfromkairo.blogspot.co.u...cers-body.html
    Last edited by Bellydance Oz; 01-08-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It IS a social dance. It's only when women get silly ideas about performing it in PUBLIC that it becomes a problem. And then only until she becomes so good at it that she becomes a household name. The arts get a bad rap everywhere. Combine that with misogyny and you have some powerful negativity involved.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    an art form that empowers women (and some gay men)
    And some straight men! (where's Zorba when you need him? )

Post Thanks / Like

Off dancing somewhere, probably.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Most men in Egypt belly dance - does that make them gay?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Most men in Egypt belly dance - does that make them gay?
    I was specifically talking about belly dance in the West, as having built itself a totally different reputation than in the Middle East.

I am one of the first to get annoyed when people accuse all male dancers of being gay! Having danced ballet, jazz, flamenco and ballroom I know plenty of straight male dancers (in fact my husband is one of them). But the only male belly dancers I've met have been gay, and I felt that bd gave them permission to be soft and feminine, (where other dance genres expect them to depict a strong masculine character).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast