Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Misogynist trolls?

Okay so..we all know that there are people out there who don't think highly of our dance. Some just don't know any better and some are just willfully ignorant.
    But what those misogynist trolls who just dislike it because the idea of women dancing in 'short' clothes is offensive to them and label them immoral etc? Especially online??

Post Thanks / Like

Also this -https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.quora.com/In-this-day-and-age-are-bellydancers-considered-women-of-ill-repute-in-the-Islamic-world&ei=lYblVFrm&lc=en-IN&s=1&m=650&ts=1450514449&sig=ALL1Aj4dSjTkNTvD64z PqI29udE1uzfTpQ

So DONE.

Post Thanks / Like

He answered the question with his own opinion and he's entitled to that opinion even if it is insulting, short-sighted, narrow-minded, bigoted, and uninformed.

As for trolls of any sort, on OD we just ban them and have done with it. No need to consider them further.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

His words are still ringing in my head. It really bothered me. I know I'm probably just being over sensitive, but..idk. I guess you have to pay this price for being a woman with independent choices.

Post Thanks / Like

This is where you practice not giving someone free rent in your own mind.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, don't give him any thoughts. Hateful ignorant misogynists are not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't think he's being misogynist, he's just telling the truth about belly dancing in the Middle East. They DO think of belly dancers as prostitutes, and it's just silly for us to pretend otherwise. Why do you think so many belly dancers in Egypt are foreign? - because Egyptians think it's a shameful profession for their daughters. Why do belly dancers in Egypt keep their profession secret? - because they'll get thrown out of their rented flat if the landlord finds out what she does. Turkey is just as bad if not worse.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/def...key-2010-11-10

We should be grateful that belly dance has been able to forge an identity in the Western World which is completely divorced from that image, but surely it's naive to pretend it doesn't exist.

Post Thanks / Like

True, that problem does exist very much. I was just wondering if he himself supports these beliefs? Hope not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    True, that problem does exist very much. I was just wondering if he himself supports these beliefs? Hope not
    No, I don't think we can say whether he supports the belief or not - he doesn't say. He simply reports what the prevailing attitudes are.

Post Thanks / Like

He states that he doesn't necessarily agree with the stereotype but it doesn't necessarily follow that he disagrees with it and he writes nothing to that end. He writes things like, "...there is really no point of doing bellydancing for a living unless one practices the oldest profession in the world. Because that's what it usually leads to, and that is precisely why I have never seen a good bellydancer!"

The hell with that attitude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast